Tips for Mounting Stock Exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for Mounting Stock Exhaust?

Hello! I recently removed the stock exhaust from my 1980 GS850G to drop and clean the oil pan and sump screen. The exhaust came out surprisingly easy. No stripped or broken header bolts thank goodness... Now I'm having a real hard time lining up the exhaust to get it back on the bike. Any tips? I took it off as a complete assembly (headers, center connector, mufflers), and was hoping I could put it back on the bike that way. I've got all 8 header bolts started, but I can't get the 3 bolts that go into the oil pan to line up. Should I try to get those first? I was hoping if I had the headers tied down that center connector would line up underneath, but it's a little off center.

Thanks for the advice!

Greg
    Greg

In the stable:
    1980 GS850G
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09

Found on my 78 1000 that it was easier to get them on as separate peices.

Comment

Yeah, I ended up going that route. I took the whole thing apart, got the center connecter in loosely, then put on each muffler/header combo, and then lastly the center two header pipes went in. I just finished tightening everything down when I realized I forgot about the kickstand... It looks like I need to drop the pipe on that side to get those kickstand bolts back into the frame. Ugh...
      Greg

In the stable:
      1980 GS850G
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09

Comment

I used to have that problem before the center pipe rusted out.

Replaced it with two straight pipes from the auto parts store, NO problems putting it back on the bike.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X