550 pipes on a 750??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550 pipes on a 750??

I have done a search of the threads to see if this has been covered, but wasn't able to conclusively answer my question.

I have what appears to be a 78 GS750, and the pipes are rusted out and full of holes. Time to get replacements. I found a salvage place, and the guy has pipes from a simlar year 550. He's trying to convince me that they will fit, and I am looking to allow myself to be convinced, since they are $100 for both sides, as opposed to the new 4-1 systems, or stock ones, which run 3-4 times that much.
    Question is, my pipes from the manifold are good to the connection (not sure of the name of it), and the pipes this guy has a good all the way through. Can it be done? I know I would have to cut the 550 pipes and get someone way more talented than me to weld the two bits together.

Anyone tried this? Thanks.

Bruce.

I can't give you any specific measurements, but simple logic would say that the 550 pipes are probably just a bit smaller in diameter, probably spaced a bit closer together, probably a bit shorter from the head down to the lower bend and most likely also a bit shorter all the way to the back.

I understand the desire to conserve finances, but if the pipe physically fits in the space, it will choke down the exhaust and affect the performance of your bike. You sure that's what you really want?

Last edited by Steve; 08-17-2012, 10:55 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If your header pipes are okay, you can chop off the mufflers and attach on some generic aftermarket mufflers or some Harley cast off mufflers. Lots of different threads in the archives on this topic, including at least one recently.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Helmet Head View Post
        I have done a search of the threads to see if this has been covered, but wasn't able to conclusively answer my question.

I have what appears to be a 78 GS750, and the pipes are rusted out and full of holes. Time to get replacements. I found a salvage place, and the guy has pipes from a simlar year 550. He's trying to convince me that they will fit, and I am looking to allow myself to be convinced, since they are $100 for both sides, as opposed to the new 4-1 systems, or stock ones, which run 3-4 times that much.
        Question is, my pipes from the manifold are good to the connection (not sure of the name of it), and the pipes this guy has a good all the way through. Can it be done? I know I would have to cut the 550 pipes and get someone way more talented than me to weld the two bits together.

Anyone tried this? Thanks.

Bruce.
        Contact me I may have an extra 750 4 into 1 I'm getting rid of. I think I can stay within your budget too. Less freight to Ontario.
        Jon

Comment

The stroke on the 550 is shorter than on the 750 so the down pipe lengths will be shorter. GS850 pipes are good to go and possibly 1000 as well but not a 100% sure on that last one.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I can't give you any specific measurements, but simple logic would say that the 550 pipes are probably just a bit smaller in diameter, probably spaced a bit closer together, probably a bit shorter from the head down to the lower bend and most likely also a bit shorter all the way to the back.

I understand the desire to conserve finances, but if the pipe shysically fits in the space, it will choke down the exhaust and affect the performance of your bike. You sure that's what you really want?

Correct.
            As a side note, 850 stock exhaust outlets are smaller than 1000 stock outlets also.
            You can actually improve the performance on the 850's with 1000 pipes.

Eric

Comment

Ah, now there's something i didn't know, along with a multitude of other things.

Comment

Working...
              X