Petcock- where's the knob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock- where's the knob?

Probably a really dumb question, but on my newly acquired '80 550L, I thought the knob was broken off, but when I found a new one to order, the pic looks just like mine... What gives??
    http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/fu...cocks_suz.html
    2nd one down...

Thanks!

Sorry about your luck, you have the "dreaded '80 petcock".

There were problems with available space that year, so the petcock has no lever. It also has no REServe position, just RUN and PRIme, so watch your gauge or your trip meter.

Thankfully, that petcock was only out for one year, and not all bikes in that year were "blessed" with it. Not sure if one from another year would fit or not. You will have to check clearance to the carb or airbox, whichever is under the petcock, as well as the bolt spacing where it mounts to the tank.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      If your bolt spacing is 44 mm , this Florida guy has them- I'm using one on my 650; note fitting direction

http://www.georgefixs.com/servlet/th...S750%2C/Detail
      Found this on another thread.

Comment

the spacing is tight and the bolt holes are 50mm. pretty wide compared to everything else of course...
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Sorry about your luck, you have the "dreaded '80 petcock".

There were problems with available space that year, so the petcock has no lever. It also has no REServe position, just RUN and PRIme, so watch your gauge or your trip meter.

Thankfully, that petcock was only out for one year, and not all bikes in that year were "blessed" with it. Not sure if one from another year would fit or not. You will have to check clearance to the carb or airbox, whichever is under the petcock, as well as the bolt spacing where it mounts to the tank.

I'd rather have his problem than mine. I have the 80' 550E and you can't find an aftermarket one (at least I can't) and the factory Suzuki is $80 bucks

Comment

Odds are the 32 year old petcock wasn't holding good vacuum anyway. I have the same thing on my 850GL. The plastic part of the valve deteriorates so it won't hold vacuum, and there's no rebuilding it.

The new one will be reliable if you can stand to be without reserve. I never missed it, but it's my first bike and the fuel gauge works. So I never developed anything like the habit of relying on having a reserve to bail me out when I don't pay attention to the fuel.

The other odd thing about that petcock is using prime. You need a screwdriver to do it, and you need to turn the engine over a couple times to pull a vacuum on the petcock. In the prime position, the valve stays open. In the run position, it doesn't hold the vacuum long, giving a spurt of fuel to the bowls with every vacuum pulse. In the old, worn-out condition, you never get good vacuum at all, starving the carbs.

Use a screwdriver to prime it in the spring, then just ride it every week or two. Or you can monkey around with an adapter plate and a manual fuel shut-off Pingel.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Nejeff: __
              I'd rather have your problem,the GS1000 factory petcock is about $250._____

1978 GS1000C
              1979 GS1000E
              1980 GS1000E
              2004 Roadstar

Comment

Thanks guys!
                I'd have never guessed. I'll get new one coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  Nejeff: __
                  I'd rather have your problem,the GS1000 factory petcock is about $250._____
                  Actually it's more! Retail is $356.32, Boulevards Suzuki's Price, $277.98!
                  What a bargain!
                  sigpic
                  Steve
                  "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

pingel, pingel....

1979 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                      Actually it's more! Retail is $356.32, Boulevards Suzuki's Price, $277.98!
                      What a bargain!
                      http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1978&fveh=2146
                      Ok, but that type takes a rebuild better doesn't it? That looks like the same one I had on a XS1100 and i rebuilt them and they worked like new. But damn, that is expensive!

Comment

Working...
                      X