• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to rebuild some carbs. Help.

Moved from another section of the forum

Originally posted by hordave
    Hey all,

Okay I have the carbs off of my 1986 Suzuki GS 1150 EF. I beleive they are BS36SS carbs.

The gas has been sitting in this bike (and carbs) for 10 years. So when I took off a carberator drain screw the liquid was a brownish/red color. So I have decided to clean and replace the neccessary parts in the carbs.

I will soak the non-rubber parts in some carb cleaner for about 24 hours to loosen everything up in them and then wipe them off and blow them out with the compressor.

My question is what parts is it generally a good idea to replace when dealing with carbs?

Appreciate any carb cleaning help anyone can give me.

Dave H...
    Originally posted by nejeff
    http://www.cycleorings.com

This should do it. Go ahead and replace intake rings also
    Originally posted by hampshirehog
    The rubber bits Dave - everything else should be ok. Cycle O rings will be able to supply I think.
    Originally posted by GateKeeper
    all the O rings, get them from

www.cycleorings.com

get the rebuild tutorial here

and follow it closely

you will be fine....

Originally posted by spyug
    What is it with your part of the world and rusted up carbs? I got my 550 from Cambridge and this is how my carbs looked inside:

I think you should also clean and seal your tank cause if they look anything like those you'll likely have much of this inside:

I hope they are not as bad as this since they are a bugger to get clean. I've had them in dip for 5 or 6 days now and they are still a mess. It is difficult to get that rust out and I've found a couple of passages that are still badly gummed up.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Good luck with it.
    Spyug
    Originally posted by nejeff
    You know I forgot to tell you (and won't do much good now), on my sons kz400 they looked alot like that. Before we did anything I sandblasted them with a cheapo HF gun using glass beads (use only glass) and it made the process 10 times quicker & easier.!

All good advice there, but did you read the carb cleaning tutorial?

It was in your megawelcome
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
    X