Bike ran for 1 day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike ran for 1 day

I just bought a 1981 GS850 with stock air box, but straight pipes...

It sat for 3 years so I didn't even bother trying to get it to run without cleaning the carbs. I followed Mr. Nessism's tutorial word for word and dipped the carbs with new o-rings from cycleorings and new float bowl gaskets (also new intake boot o-rings). The pilot jets and main jets are stock I think pilot=40 and main=115. After I got it back together, it fired right up and after warming up I was able to ride it around the neighborhood for about 30 min. It was hesitating badly in the low-mid throttle position momentarily then lurching up to incredible power. After that I put it away and was done for the day. That was 2 days ago. Now it starts and idles for about 5-10 min., but if I give it any throttle it dies. While running cold, if I pull out the choke all the way, the rpms skyrocket, but if I turn the throttle even a smidge, it dies. If I let it idle and warm up, after about 5-10 minutes, it just dies and won't start again until cooled off. I'm not sure where to go next. Please help!

....."It was hesitating badly in the low-mid throttle position momentarily then lurching up to incredible power. "

It's craving more attention- it's a step by step process. Good job on carb cleaning, but those open pipes will effect jetting. Do you have a filter element in this stock airbox?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      ....."It was hesitating badly in the low-mid throttle position momentarily then lurching up to incredible power. "

It's craving more attention- it's a step by step process. Good job on carb cleaning, but those open pipes will effect jetting. Do you have a filter element in this stock airbox?
      Sounds like it's craving fuel to me but your right, pipes are a concern

Comment

Measure the float height and bench, vaccum sync carbs. Adjust valves then start checking jetting..

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Do you have a filter element in this stock airbox?

Yes but it's really thin, and open ended for some reason.

Originally posted by mpencegs View Post
          Measure the float height and bench, vaccum sync carbs. Adjust valves then start checking jetting..
          I did set the float heights, but I didn't mess with the sync screws. When I eyeballed the butterflies, they looked to be bench adjusted well already.
          (Can I trust my eyes with this?)

So vacuum sync and check/adjust valve clearances? Those will be a first time for me.

Comment

Not adjusting my valves during initial maintenance phase is why I ended up rebuilding the top end. Its easy to do so do it

Comment

Working...
            X