Should I up the mains for a 550t with a 4-1 header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I up the mains for a 550t with a 4-1 header

I've cleaned and o ringed the carbs and intakes on a friends 81 550t. I bench synced them and the idle hangs or drops to low. When it cuts out from idleing low, I have to choke it to restart it. It is running a V&H 4-1 header and the stock airbox. It has the stock mains (92.5) and I've turned the airmix 4 out. It is still haveing an idleing problem. Reading a few past threads, it has been suggested that if you go up to 4 turns that you should up the main. Is 4 out too far and time to rejet or can I go farther. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Start with a vacuum sync to make sure all the cylinders are firing the same.

Four turns out seems a bit excessive, but that might clear up a bit with the vacuum sync.

Should you up "up the mains"? Only if you ever plan on running the bike on the main jet.

When it "cuts out from idling low", is it because of mixture or simply having the master idle knob set too low?
    That low idle could be caused by too rich an idle mixture, pull the plugs to verify.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X