Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
    Hi,

I'm drawing a blank here, but maybe you're referring to Pamco? I'm not familiar with them. You can also...

Check the sticky thread at the top of the electrical section of the forum.

Check the ignitor repair document in the electrical section of my website.

The Dynatech ignition is a popular replacement when the ignitor fails. It's much cheaper than an OEM part.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Yes, Pamco its for yamahas and Hondas. I keep thinking I should get a Dyna-S.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
      I just contacted ghostgs to swap some shims tonight....... Just a crazy question. Is the cam lobe position to check clearence just so you can check more than one at a time? It seems like if the lobe was just straight up you could check them OK, just one at a time. In an old thread this fella said his Climers Manuel told him to check them all lobe up.
      Yes and yes.

Eric

Comment

Well some of your symptoms sound like what I've been experience with lack of ability to hold idle. Basically fixed with new o-rings through out including the intake boots. You mention the carbs haven't been cleaned in 4 years so I'd say they are due.

An additional issue you want to check is voltage at the coils. The battery sounds good but what is getting to the coils. I just had that problem too 12.5v at the battery and only 10.5 at the coils. I cleaned the fuse block and all the connectors up to the controls and it turned out the kill switch was the problem. As it cannot be dissassembled for a mechanical cleaning and the cleaning fluid baths didn't help I did the coil relay mod and got it back to almost full battery voltage, now running around 12.2v.

To have the bike run right you need, properly adjusted valves, clean and airtight carbs along with good spark. As Cliff says its not likely to be one issue alone but a combination.

Good luck with it.
        Spyug

Comment

Dang IT

I thought I would recheck my valves again. Holy CRAP the .05mm gage was stuck to the .04mm. So I was checking with a .09mm that is why they were all so tight. So only 2 valves need adjustment. ....Have not checked volts to coils yet but I will. I have a spare set of carbs here all ready to go. I might put them on and clean the others.
          [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Waiting for shims

I'm redoing some of my shoddy electrical work. while I wait. I bought a propane torch to solder with. Much better than waiting on my electric one to heat things up. I don't know if what I have done so far will fix my idle problem. The carbs on my gs500 have never been cleaned in 7 years and it runs great. When I built this bike GS1000 (It was totally disassembled basket case) I cleaned the tank and used Cream to coat the inside. The carbs were cleaned properly, I don't know if they need cleaned again already. I guess they might.
            [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Valves

Valves are adjusted now, I put the cover back on. My starter wire to the solenoid had extra insuation wrapped on it, I took it off and found the wire had been cut in half and soldered back together. I have another one I'm going to use. Maybe part of my low voltage to the starter problem. I guess I will put it back together and see if I still have the Idle and slow cranking when hot problem. If I do, I will try this other set of carbs,and clean the ones on now. The other carbs had pin holes in 2 of the diaframs. I patched them with rubber adhesive and sprayed them all with a light coat of spray on rubber I have been wondering if they will work. When I blow air in the hole on the Aircleaner side the slides raise up and drop back down, but who knows.
              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Running Good

So , I adjusted the valve. Only one needed it. Put on a starter lead that had not been cut in half. Got New starter button, old one was getting hot when I used it, I don't use the one on the handlebar. Cleaned up some crappy wiring I did. Resealed the Air box, PO had cut nice big slots in it. Maybe thought more air would make it go faster. It seems to be OK now. I did not get to ride far but got it warmed up good. Idles now around 1050rpm maybe the air box leaking was the Idle problem.
                [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E

Comment

Working...
                X