Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air infiltration through the butterfly shaft hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air infiltration through the butterfly shaft hole?

I am trying to sort out a dieing idle situation on my siamese carbed 550. My research is telling me I have an air infiltration problem and I'm waiting new o-rings so I can change everything out to see if that sorts it.

While I'm waiting, I've been studying the schematics and looking at my spare set of carbs as I'm cleaning them up. I notice that there are o-rings on the outside of the carbs were the butterfly shaft exits the carb body ( covered by a cap). We don't normally change those do we?

If they break down in the dip wouldn't that cause another airleak to contend with?

Anyone run into this ?

Maybe I'm over thinking this but I do want to consider all possible issues no matter how remote.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    spyug

If you mean the end-caps grommets for the throttle shaft, those are basically dust covers. You can run the bike without the carb tops. In fact you must do that to vacuum synch the slides. So the open tops do not create an air leak.

That said, it's worth keeping things tidy up top, so if you melted those end caps, I'd hunt down some replacements on eBay, etc. You can run/ride the bike while you are looking for them.

Comment

Working...
    X