83 gs550l losing power after 70-75mph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs550l losing power after 70-75mph?

Have a great,83 gs 550l when I got it the carbs were gunked cleaned them and ran great ever since it is a little hard starting but not bad once it warms up it runs good. when I take it out and hit about 75 it just loses its top end and wont go any faster have the throttle buried. I have got it to go faster a couple times its like it will only when it wants to ,lol. the carbs are dual throat mikuni's bsw30ss's (two carbs four cyclinders). rubbers are good all the way around, maybe i didnt get the carbs clean enough? any ideas? Also im looking for a good place to find out All the information on the jets in the carbs I would like to replace them all new, as they dont make carb rebuild kits for the bike anymore. any help would be appeciated thanks!

Welcome to the GSR !

When you cleaned the carbs, what process did you use?
    As for the "kits", I would strongly urge against putting any kind of "kit" in your carbs. The factory jets don't wear out so as long as they are clean, there is no need for a kit.

Cliff will be along shortly to throw down the red carpet and all the goodies / links that you'll ever need to fix your bike.

75-80mph, sounds like a blockage in the main jet circuit to me.

Again... WELCOME ! ! !

Comment

1983 gs 550l

Hey thanks for the reply! Im new to the gsr site! I love my little 550l! All I have done to the carbs was take them off, take out the jets unclogged them with some good carb cleaner and any other part I could get to,orifices etc with carb cleaner they were pretty gunked up when I got it. bike had been sitting for two years but supposedly been running great before that. maybe I should go over them again If i missed somthing and it clogged somthing again? is there a better method to cleaning them im missing also I ran some lucas carb cleaner in the gas to help in the first tank of gas I put through it. Also I read somthing here about a general maintanance guide/checklist for olders gs's were can i find that? sorry just new to here is all

Comment

Now problem. Carbs are one of about three things that will bring a GS to its' knees. Stator and R/R are to other two.

Follow this link and you'll have everything you need to get the carbs CLEAN !

No short cuts when doing the carbs correctly.

Comment

Hmmm no top end eh?
          You got the airbox and ever thang hooked back up?

Comment

Maybe check the petcock? Sounds like main jet or petcock. At that speed your needing max fuel flow. Also if the r/r is bad it could be holding you down. I converted petcock to full manual, did a coil relay mod and followed it up with a different r/r... along with cleaning every single wire connector and (adding some better grounds too) and was amazed at the results. I felt like I could not push my 550E faster than 4,000 rpm (actually was scared to) and now I'm shifting at 6,000 to 7,000 and power and it feels good!

Comment

Working...
            X