Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VM Carb rebuild - they're apart, what should i write down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM Carb rebuild - they're apart, what should i write down?

took apart the carbs from the GS1000 last night, dipped everything, new o-rings from cycleorings...

I'm hoping to finish putting them back together tonight, but it occurs to me that it would be a good idea to figure out what's in there while they're apart. I don't know what to look for though.

These are off a GS1000, 1978. VM29 carbs I believe. There's a Kerker 4-1 on it (from PO) and I have a set of brand new KN individual pods for it(replacing some crusty generic pods). What I'm realizing is I have no idea what I should adjust to try to get a good mixture. I don't know what in the bike has changed from stock, though I'm hoping that it was rejetted when the PO switched to 4-1 with pods.

Anyway, if there's stuff I should write down before buttoning up the carbs like jet or needle sizes, any advice (and photos) would be really helpful.

On each of the jets, there is a microscopic number. Maybe need a good magnifying glass. Also write down the needle number. With those upgrades, you will probably need to rejet from factory settings though. I will let the VM experts give you the correct numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by thewiz View Post
      On each of the jets, there is a microscopic number. Maybe need a good magnifying glass. Also write down the needle number. With those upgrades, you will probably need to rejet from factory settings though. I will let the VM experts give you the correct numbers.
      thanks, will look for those.
      again, i'm hoping it was already rejetted since it had pods and the 4-1 when i got it. it'll need some tweaking regardless because of the new pods i imagine.
      hopefully noting those numbers will provide some insight into whether it was ever rejetted though.

Comment

Also check the pilot jets for their number

Write down what notch the clip is on the needle

Check the pilot fuel screws tip for sharpness
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If they are stock, they are VM 26 carbs. If they are 29's, you got a nice $600.00 bonus with your bike.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            Also check the pilot jets for their number

Write down what notch the clip is on the needle

Check the pilot fuel screws tip for sharpness
            edit - found pilot jets #, they're 125s

i see a pilot air screw, but i can't see a number on it. i don't see a pilot fuel screw. are you sure that's for these carbs?

i actually don't see a number on anything other than the jet needle
            Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

moving this thread here http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=198510&page=2

Comment

Working...
              X