79 GS1000L Air Cleaner Case Needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS1000L Air Cleaner Case Needed?

Hi, I recently picked up a 79 GS1000L. The bike didn't have an air cleaner case. The PO just had an air filter connected to the air box. Is the air cleaner case an essential part for proper air flow or can I get by with out one? Will it make the bike run lean with out it? It seems like the are pretty hard to come by and can be expensive. Thanks

Hi,welcome to the site.Yes,it is best to keep the entire system as engineers designed it.The bike will run best that way.Keep an eye on EBay.

1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

Thanks, Any other models use the same air cleaner case as the 79 GS1000L?

Comment

Any 78-79 GS1000 air box will work.. E or L model..
        L model front air boxes just have chrome end caps added.

I'm guessing you are looking for a rear air box and lid.

I think for the rear box even an 80 GS1000 box would work.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2012, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. nFrog,

What part(s) do you need? I'm guessing #4 and the associated hardware?

Yes, any changes to the intake system will require jetting changes. The airbox assembly meters a specific amount of air into the system. Any changes will throw off the air/fuel mixture and require a jetting change in the carbs.

There is a parts cross-reference procedure on my little website. Use it to see what bikes use the same part numbers. A lot of times Suzuki used the same part across several models/years.

And for even more fun, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the plethora of great information. I've got a lot of reading to do! And yes I am looking for part #4, if you see one around please let me know.

Comment

Working...
            X