carb blasting media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb blasting media

im almost done messing with my carb project and after experimenting with the carb body finish i just want a clean outer body i have read some stuff on the finishes you can get with media blasting materials i currently have access to a bag of black blast, abrasive blasting crystals, before i do a test carb was wondering if this is a good media for the mikuni carb bodies or if there is someting better.. i really just dont wanna hurt the carbs just looking for a fast easy way to get them spotless on the outside. i have already dipped them and cleaned them several times and plan on a few more after i blast them just to be safe

A lot of people swear by blasting carb bodies with baking soda. Never done it myself but I'm sure someone that has will be along in a while with the inside scoop...
    It's smoke that make electronic components work.
    Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
    '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
    '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
    '82 GS1000SZ
    '82 GS1100GL
    '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

As long as the media will not pit or mark up the aluminum body of the carb, it really don't matter what you use.

Comment

baking soda?

really baking soda?? thats easy to get and cheap so i'm waiting for input about the baking soda pro's and con's of soda vs media would interesting

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
          As long as the media will not pit or mark up the aluminum body of the carb, it really don't matter what you use.
          this is exactly why im intimidated by blasting media not sure what is good for the aluminum

Comment

I've used glass bead blasting before but you need to be really careful to tape up all the various openings first, and protect things like the throttle shaft springs. Glass bead comes in various grits and I used 80, but 100+ will give the surface more sheen. Soda blasting seems like a better solution although I've yet to try it.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by bubby View Post
              really baking soda?? thats easy to get and cheap so i'm waiting for input about the baking soda pro's and con's of soda vs media would interesting
              For soda blasting, I like to use the Arm and Hammer Soap & Suds instead of straight baking soda. I forget the precise difference in effectiveness between the two product for blasting. I think the S&S may work better. Either way, S&S is cheaper than plain baking soda.

If you do use S&S, definitely wear goggles and make sure you keep your brow dry. Sweat + detergent + drip in your eye = AMHIK

Comment

I have read many times of soda blasting, and it works great, and gets good results....

there are many DIY setups one can make for soda blasting, if you don't have the real tools for blasting

The best part is you can wash it up with water......and it will all dissolve, unlike other media, glass, sand, walnuts, etc

Comment

Clean up is easy with baking soda too, just washes away...

Beat me to it, what he said ^^^^
                  It's smoke that make electronic components work.
                  Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
                  '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
                  '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
                  '82 GS1000SZ
                  '82 GS1100GL
                  '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Lots of posts on this already in the forum and on the net
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                    X