Surging and not accelerating properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surging and not accelerating properly

Just getting back from a 10 day excursion from New Haven, CT to Marthas Vineyard.
    Took my 1982 GS 1100E which ran beautifully for the entire trip to the island, around the island and part of the way home.

However in Falmouth I lost my top end speed and the throttle seemed to bog in 4th and 5th gear at higher RPMs. The bike was kind of surging and I couldnt comfortably maintain highway speed.

Any idea what this could be? It seemed like a fuel issue. I limped the bike home and it appeared to get better as the trip went on. Kind of came on out of no where.

Have you checked the charging system?

Eric

Comment

New Stator, Regulator/Rectifier and new battery. Charging system is healthy.

Comment

Too much salt air! If you feel sure about charging system, then it sounds like some bad gas (i.e. water). try a dose of Seafoam or equivalent and see if problem vanishes.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I thought that gas may be the culprit. I gased up on the Vineyard a few times and I know the turnover at some of those pumps is slow which leads to water accumulation in the tanks. Im going to run out what is left and fuel up with some known good gas to see if that fixes it.

Comment

You didn't over-oil your air filter, did you?
            Check the airbox and even the carbs.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2012, 04:18 PM.

Comment

hmm I do have what appears to be oil seeping from the carbs. Not very much. Just a small bit, but it does look like oil and the bike does consume some oil....
              How was the cylinder head gasket replacement. Big PITA or easy?

Comment

Originally posted by Caseyuconn View Post
                How was the cylinder head gasket replacement. Big PITA or easy?
                I'd say it qualifies as a "PITA"

Comment

Working...
                X