does it HAVE to be k&n pods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does it HAVE to be k&n pods?

since ive cafed my bike...i wanna go pods...i know i have to jet spend countless hours tuning...lose some hair..maybe throw a few things etc...

but i have nothing but time on my hands for a few weeks

i looked at k&n pods..$175 bux? why are they so high...can i just get some cheapo filters...anyone ran those?

z1 has some emgo's for 7.88 a peice

and also whats a good condition complete(including snorkel) air box worth of an 82? gs850..cause it will either go in my parts bin or sell it if its worth to sell

Ape apparently has the best deal on K & N look a-likes without the logo.
    The pods from Z1 work well also (For me and no one else. )

Eric

Comment

i found those also...they look like k&n but say xs...maybe no one would know what the xs meant lol...

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
        http://www.mikesxs.net/products-112.html

i found those also...they look like k&n but say xs...maybe no one would know what the xs meant lol...
        Those would likely work as good as K&N's. From what I understand it has something to do with the oval shape that makes em work.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
          Those would likely work as good as K&N's. From what I understand it has something to do with the oval shape that makes em work.
          hm weird...im a big fan of k&n..but if on this bike i dont wanna dump that money in...if it was 50-60 bux for a set of k&n i would have got them

Comment

this is what i got http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i01

$97 at amazon

Comment

Originally posted by gs850cafe View Post
              i looked at k&n pods..$175 bux? why are they so high...can i just get some cheapo filters...anyone ran those?
              One reason to go with K&N (or those XS copies or APE) is that they have a rather consitent quality. The cheap ones (EMGO, etc.) maight have different thickness filter media from one run to the next.

Another reason to stick with K&N type filters is that they can be cleaned and re-used. The EMGOs are a "use them once, then throw them away" type of paper filter. They are not meant to be oiled or cleaned, and must be replaced when they get dirty enough. They may be cheap this time around, but may end up costing you just as much, or more over the life of the bike.

How much is the airbox worth? Hard to say. Some guys have scored one for $10 or so, while others have paid close to $100. If it has the snorkel, there is a guy that just posted in the parts wanted section, looking for one.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X