stripped pilot screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped pilot screws

I know this is probably a re-post and I have read the section on pilot screw removal on BassCliff's site. But it apprears that two of the four pilot screws are toast. They are not poking thru like Mr. Hoomgar's demo, but they are just stripped. I ordered up a couple of new ones. What have you guys done to get these out? Drill with an easyout?

Just found my #4 idle mixture screw is super stripped from previous owner. I have heard of a few different methods. One being use a left handed drill bit to get it out. Another is use a dremel and cut into the carb housing all the way down to the screw to where you can notch a new flat head spot in it. Somebody tried to drill mine out and destroyed it. I dont know what Im gonna do either. Definitely get some PB Blaster or Deep Creep sitting in there for a while to help you out. Good Luck! Im gonna need it too!!!

Comment

I've gotten many out with a cheap torch, PJ1 and a dremmel. I think Steve has a great picture on how to do it.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

i saw the method of dremmeling a slot, but this is the pilot jet behind the rubber plug. im sure i dont want to cut into that. I think I'll try the the PB, tourch and left drill bit. Thanks for your input.

Comment

I was able to drill and use the smallest easyout i could find. After i drilled it I used a torch to assist the easyout; backed out with no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by stevey9 View Post
            I was able to drill and use the smallest easyout i could find. After i drilled it I used a torch to assist the easyout; backed out with no problem.

Great news!

Eric

Comment

That is not a pilot screw, it's the pilot JET.

Best bet to remove that would be a left-handed drill (and possibly some warmth).

You are correct, you don't want to Dremel a slot in that area.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

these pilot jets are different

Take a look at these pilot jets I got in the mail today. They don't have the holes in the side like the ones I pulled out. The top one is a good jet I pulled our the bottom is the replacement I got in the mail. I know sometimes parts are superceeded, but will these even work?

Comment

If you look carefully, the ones with the emulsion holes have the actual "jet" at the top versus the bottom of the plain ones. IIRC.
                  I think that they can be interchanged.
                  The ones with the holes are for carbs without the pilot jet plug on the bottom and feed out of the internal tube.

If i were you, I would wait for the experts to explain the difference.

Eric
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2012, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Experts.

Experts, please chime in. I might try these out and cross my fingers that I can get this ol girl to fire up. what do you think?
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2012, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Knock, knock.
                      There are at least a dozen carb experts that correct everything that I say/do.

Come on down...
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2012, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Stuck jets.I use a heat gun to heat the inside of the carb around the jet.I hold it with an oven mit or thick leather glove.Then I insert the proper screw driver,and tap it with a regular claw hammer while backing out the screw.If this doesn't work.I soak it in penetrating oil and let it sit over night.I periodically check in and add more pene oil.

I gave my understand for the different jets here. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...71&postcount=4

Comment

Working...
                        X