Idle problem after carb rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle problem after carb rebuild

Hey guys I rebuilt my carbs and replaced all the o rings. I reinstalled the carbs on the bike and it starts and idles fine for about 10 seconds then it starts to rev higher and higher until I have to turn the bike off for fear of hitting the redline. I have all my pilot screws backed off 2 and a half turns. I tried turning my idle
    Screw to the left and it didn't change anything. Help me please I would like to ride the bike tonight. This problem wasnt present before the rebuild

I benched synced the carbs and replaced the intake boot o rings as well.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2012, 03:06 PM.

If you didn't touch the throttle - air leak.

If you did touch the throttle, air leak and stuck cable and/or slide.

Comment

Don`t know if this will help.

I had a similiar fright after replacing Carbs back on bike....I had not seated the end of the accelerator cable into position properly...!!!! Doh!....

Comment

check throttle cable, mine did same thing before. Just had to adjust cable.

Comment

The choke was stuck open. Closed the choke idle dipped til it stalled. Now it won't start at all! With the choke open and closed.

Comment

Put the petcock on PRI and wait for a minute or two.

Also... even when the bike is HOT, is will still start with the choke on. It may bogg out and die but should still start. Air filter in the bike and air box buttoned up tightly?

Comment

Took it for a spin today. Rode alright with a fine idle, but then towards the end of the ride the idle jumped again every time the clutch was pulled in. I'll check the throttle cable tomorrow. Does anyone have a how to for a clutch adjustment on a 650? I've looked on the basscliff site and i have the manual and it's going going so well.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by overboostin View Post
                Took it for a spin today. Rode alright with a fine idle, but then towards the end of the ride the idle jumped again every time the clutch was pulled in.
                All "live" or "active" carburetor adjustments should be made when the bike is fully up to operating temperature. This goes for vacuum synchronizing, idle mixture (pilot) screw adjustments, and main idle knob adjustments.

What happens when you use the main idle knob to adjust the idle lower? Are you positive there are no air leaks in the intake system?

Does anyone have a how to for a clutch adjustment on a 650? I've looked on the basscliff site and i have the manual and it's going going so well.
                Here's what it says in my manual. You may wish to check yours.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2012, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that diagram basscliff! The idle knob doesn't seem to do much of anything. Maybe it's backed off too far. Is there a starting point for the adjustments? Everything is sealed down tight. However, on two of the intake boots plastic has flaked off. Not on the main rubber part, but on the edge of the part that covers the metal where the flange meets the head. Could this cause any issues?

Comment

Hi,

If the idle knob doesn't do much of anything then my experience would suggest an air leak. If you have rubber flaking off the intake boots then I would suspect them. I know they're not cheap, but a new set will last another 30 years or so, and eliminate that from your concerns.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Hi,

If the idle knob doesn't do much of anything then my experience would suggest an air leak. If you have rubber flaking off the intake boots then I would suspect them. I know they're not cheap, but a new set will last another 30 years or so, and eliminate that from your concerns.

BassCliff

I was hoping it wasn't them but I guess it'll
                      Have to get done. They're around $100 for the four right? I've seen them on boulevard and some other places. Any recommendations for
                      Places to get them? Is there anything I can do
                      In the mean time while I wait for them to come in to dial back the racing idle? It's intermittent, only starting up halfway through my ride and then it went away.

Also off topic but for the front forks can you use a normal schrader air fitting? My tire gauge didn't seem to want to go on and I didnt want to force it.

Comment

Got my boots from Z1. Hth.

Comment

I'm wondering if your idle isn't adjusted properly to begin with. Get your bike nice and warm and then when it starts to race start fiddling with the adjustment knob. Just remember the engine will be hot and hands won't like it.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hot - It will put scars on top of scars!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

In case anyone searching has this issue it ended up being the clamps for the intake boots. I replaced the intake and airbox clamps and we're all good now.

Comment

Working...
                              X