PO needle set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PO needle set up

So I've been working through my carbs. After getting my snap ring pliers in the mail today from Z1 I was able to see how my needles are set up. I bought a DJ stage three kit to install. Upon cracking the carbs open I found 170 (non- Dyno Jet) mains with what appears to be DJ air adjuster installed and the slides drilled with DJ needles.

This is how the needles were set up and the DJ instructions. hmmmm..... Looks like it would have REALLY been running rich set up like this right?

Problem is that I don't have the stock metal washers. Anyone know what size they are? Wonder if I can get them at a hardware store or Fastenal. Or am I going to have to order some?

I think you can use #2 washers to shim the needle, so they might work here also. Your PO screwed the pooch with the fat spacer in the wrong spot for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
      I think you can use #2 washers to shim the needle, so they might work here also. Your PO screwed the pooch with the fat spacer in the wrong spot for sure.
      You're telling me. I couldn't believe it.

Oh well, that's why I'm going through every inch of the bike.

Thanks for the advice on the #2 washers. I need to see if I can find some.

They are only $2.33 each from Suzuki.

Time to go to Fastenal.

Comment

I think that Radio Shack has them as well.

Comment

3mm flat washers are what you need.
          If you can't find them locally, I will send you 22 of them (20 is enough to replace all four plastic spacers and 2 to lose.) for $1.00 including postage.

Eric

Comment

Thanks Eric. I just picked up four 3mm washers. I looked at them and thought, "those look like the perfect size."

I'm a mikuni Ninja.

Comment

Hi!

Originally posted by Good Times View Post

I'm a mikuni Ninja.
              That made me LOL out loud!

That was a great turn of phrase. Thanks for the laugh.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Upon cracking the carbs open I found 170 (non- Dyno Jet) mains with what appears to be DJ air adjuster installed and the slides drilled with DJ needles.

This is how the needles were set up and the DJ instructions. hmmmm..... Looks like it would have REALLY been running rich set up like this right?
                How did that bike run at all?

Those 170 jets should be the pilot air jets, and installed in the intake throats, in the 8 o'clock position. The air adjusters should have been put in the main air jets at the 4 o'clock position.

Stock mains are 115. I can't imagine what mods could be done to justify a 170, instead.

Moving the thick nylon spacer to the bottom of the clip is good for raising the stock needle about two notches. The effect of raising a DJ needle that much, ...

Let's just say that anyone following that bike within a mile or so, would have watery eyes, due to the over-rich fumes.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's better:

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    How did that bike run at all?

I have no idea!

Comment

Doesnt look like any DJ needle I have seen. Usually they taper to a point.

Comment

You only need one washer between the clip and the spring.

Looks like the larger one on the left would be a better choice.

The second one isn't going to hurt anything, it's just more preload on the spring.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                          Doesnt look like any DJ needle I have seen. Usually they taper to a point.
                          That's what came in the kit for the GS850G.

You only need one washer between the clip and the spring.

Looks like the larger one on the left would be a better choice.

The second one isn't going to hurt anything, it's just more preload on the spring.

Just going by the diagram. Spring - Stock washer - DJ washer - DJ Clip - Stock Spacer

We'll see how it goes.

Comment

Just going by the diagram. Spring - Stock washer - DJ washer - DJ Clip - Stock Spacer

We'll see how it goes.
                            Yeah, I saw that, it's just a common mis-conception when we talk about "shimming the needles" that guys will put shims between the spring and the clip to raise the needle. All that does is compress the spring. To raise the needle, you need to move the clip down, which is possible on the DJ needles. On the stock needles, you need to reduce the thickness of the nylon spacer by replacing it with a couple of washers (similar to the one you have under the clip) above the clip.

As I mentioned before, the second washer is not going to hurt anything.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Yeah, I saw that, it's just a common mis-conception when we talk about "shimming the needles" that guys will put shims between the spring and the clip to raise the needle. All that does is compress the spring. To raise the needle, you need to move the clip down, which is possible on the DJ needles. On the stock needles, you need to reduce the thickness of the nylon spacer by replacing it with a couple of washers (similar to the one you have under the clip) above the clip.

As I mentioned before, the second washer is not going to hurt anything.

Appreciate your eye for detail and willingness to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X