Where to get choke cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to get choke cable

So i just bought a 1982 gs1100e for 400$ , it pretty much needs a complete restoration. Now that i fixed the ign, its time to move on to fueling, i.e. carb rebuild. Before i dive into the rebuild, i want to know how bad the carbs run currently, so im trying to locate a choke cable for my model, and i can't seem to find anything... I can only find choke cables for 1980-81.

Do you guys know of a good source for these, or am i stuck making my own cables from scratch?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Basscliff should be along later with an official welcome but in the mean time, you can go to any dealer and order parts. Some of the better ones we like to use are www.z1enterprises.com, Boulevard Suzuki, G&S Suzuki, and others.

I would honestly go ahead and start working on your carbs now before you get your cable. You'll have everything done by the time it arrives and can go from there. Visit http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff and download the carb rebuild guide. Then go order orings from www.cycleorings.com (DON'T GET REBUILD KITS), bowl gaskets from one of the above suppliers, and some Berrymans carb dip. Finally, do the valve adjustment while the carbs are off the bike and then synch them properly after rebuilding.

Good luck and we love pictures.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks for the greeting and thanks for the info, the rebuild kits looked nasty expensive... the o-ring kit looks muuuuch nicer.

Is cost the only reason to avoid the rebuild kits?

Also, should i get the float bowl gaskets and the needle valves, or should i check for wear before ordering new valves?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by roachdoggs1100 View Post
        Thanks for the greeting and thanks for the info, the rebuild kits looked nasty expensive... the o-ring kit looks muuuuch nicer.

Is cost the only reason to avoid the rebuild kits?

Also, should i get the float bowl gaskets and the needle valves, or should i check for wear before ordering new valves?

Thanks again!
        The gaskets will be OK unless someone glued them on, they usually don't need the valves. The rebuild kits suck even if they were free.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The rebuild kits come with inferior parts and our jets don't go bad that easily unless some PO REALLY screwed up. Get the bowl gaskets, a head (valve) gasket, oil filter, intake orings, carb orings, and go from there. Only after you actually check your valves will you need to worry about new shims and those you can get pretty cheap from most places (easiest route will be the Shim Club under GS Services). Honestly, you'll probably be able to move most shims around so also look up Steve (real name and username here) to get his spreadsheet.

Throw your location in your profile (User CP, Edit Options) and your bike info in your signature (User CP, Edit Signature) so it will make it easier for us to help. In fact, you might find one of us close enough to make a special trip.

Oh, and I'd also look into getting new screws for some of your stuff. Robert Barr at cycleorings sells the screw kit and it will make your job much much easier.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Gaskets will be needed; they're leaking.

I will do the valve adjustment, oil change, and the other maintenance items you mentioned, but im not in any hurry. I actually don't plan on riding this summer at all, its my winter project .

Thanks for all the info, and here's a crappy photo of when i brought it home TODAY, lol. I work fast, even though im in no hurry, just excited. The '82 GS1100e is actually my dream bike... lol.

I recently lowered my truck 3 in front to back, so i was worried i would ride the frame the whole 85mi trip home, but i only got the occasional axle slap. It actually worked to my advantage, i didnt need to borrow a ramp, just backed it off the tailgate .

Comment

Working...
            X