Stuck petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck petcock

Hey all, so I realized my petcock has been in the reserve position for a good bit now, and I cannot switch it to any other position.
    My bike is a 1981 GS750L and it has a stock petcock I believe, it is pointing to the left right now, so on reserve (i hope) and if I am correct, but im just double checking, down is on, right is prime, and up is off. (please correct if im wrong)
    But it won't budge to any other position and Im scared of forcing it too hard.
    Is it just twist, pull twist, push twist, or even something else?

Spray penetrating oil around the spigot and use a pair of linesman or long-nose pliers to work it carefully so as to not break it off..
    Follow the directions that Steve posted in another recent thread to loosen it up after you take it apart.
    Or, better yet, buy a new one as it is probably old enough (30 years old) to deserve being replaced.
    Then, you will be good to go for another 30 years.

Eric

Comment

I got it in the right position, it was just very sticky and scared me a bit, but it is fine now!

Comment

Originally posted by olilem View Post
        ..., but im just double checking, down is on, right is prime, and up is off. (please correct if im wrong)
        OK.

There is no "up is off".

Down is ON while the engine is running, it is also OFF when the engine is not running.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Down is ON while the engine is running, it is also OFF when the engine is not running.

Thanks! I also received an explanation in a PM on how to check if it leaks, which I will do after I finish changing the oil tomorrow morning!

Comment

Originally posted by olilem View Post
            Thanks! I also received an explanation in a PM on how to check if it leaks, which I will do after I finish changing the oil tomorrow morning!
            You might want to check to see if it leaks before you change your oil.
            Since if it did leak, gas could possibly get into your crankcase, and..............
            you'll end up changing your oil again.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
            X