Re Sealing, the GS850GL Air Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re Sealing, the GS850GL Air Box

Recently my brother who has a 1979 GS750 told me that his air filter has a foam, fitting on the top to seal it to the box, also it has a rubber snorkel on the back of the box, my gs850 has neither of these tell me where to buy one or if i could possibly buy one from someone on here

The foam on top of the filter can be replaced with weatherstripping foam from the hardware store.

The snorkle can not be purchased separately, you will have to find one from a member or get a completr box that has one.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      The foam on top of the filter can be replaced with weatherstripping foam from the hardware store.

The snorkle can not be purchased separately, you will have to find one from a member or get a completr box that has one.

Oh man change the font color! my eyes...
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yep....what Steve said.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
          Oh man change the font color! my eyes...
          That's OK, I was having a problem reading the original post, thought I would respond "in kind".

Charger, please change your default font color to black.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I bought a snorkle on ebay. & used 3/16x3/8" storm window foam to seal my filter & airbus.

Comment

O ok well does anyone have a spare snorkle lying around

Comment

Hi,

Have you seen the 'airbox sealing' and 'air intake repair' guides on my little website?

You might have better luck looking for parts in the 'Parts Wanted' and 'Parts For Sale' sections of the forum..

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Bass hey while on the subject, do you know if the cv carbs on the gs850 have clip positions on the needles?

Comment

Stock needles only have one clip position. Some people have shimmed them with tiny washers to smooth out a mid-range flat spot, but that's all the adjustment there is.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Well that sucks, my bike has aftermarket exhaust and I have changed the main jet as per the Vance and Hines recommendation but I cannot runn wot as it will run up until about 7k rpm then fall on its face

Comment

Originally posted by Charger739 View Post
                        Well that sucks, my bike has aftermarket exhaust and I have changed the main jet as per the Vance and Hines recommendation but I cannot runn wot as it will run up until about 7k rpm then fall on its face
                        What size jets are in it currently and what changes have you done so far?

Eric

Comment

I re-sealed the air box and cleaned the carbs once, also installed 120 mains and that's it, I think it may have really clogged up needle jets

Comment

Take the carbs apart and clean them correctly.
                            At your altitude those jets would be close to ideal or slightly rich depending on the exhaust restriction.

www.cycleorings.com is your friend.

Eric

Comment

Tomorrow I'm gonna clean the imulsion tubes and also the pilot jets to see if that makes a diffence

Comment

Working...
                              X