Re Sealing, the GS850GL Air Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charger739 View Post
    Tomorrow I'm gonna clean the imulsion tubes and also the pilot jets to see if that makes a diffence

Eric

Comment

Lol thanks for the encouragement anyways my airbox boots have cracks in em time to replace?

Comment

I re-sealed the air box and cleaned the carbs once, also installed 120 mains and that's it, I think it may have really clogged up needle jets
        Is that a really quiet Vance & Hines pipe? Keep in mind that "quiet" = "restrictive".

My son's 850 has a rather quiet pipe. We don't know for sure, but are led to believe it might be a Jardine. We have 120 mains in there, and it does OK. If your pipe is less restrictive, it might need 122.5 or even 125 mains.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Lol thanks for the encouragement anyways my airbox boots have cracks in em time to replace?
          Steve, Ed... this is where you guys come in.

Eric

Comment

Only if you want to run the engine.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok how about getting pods or k&n pods to place on the bike would I have to rejet to run

Comment

Hi,

Ok how about getting pods or k&n pods to place on the bike would I have to rejet to run
                Any modification of the stock intake or exhaust will require jetting changes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Does anyone here personally have a gs850 with the Vance and Hines headers and single muffler its a 4 into 1

Comment

I do. On a 1982 GS850GL. In Western Kentucky.

I also have K&N Pods.

I just finished rebuilding the carbs and correcting all of the stuff the PO had done before. I also replaced the intake boots and o-rings. This is a have to step if you want the bike to run right. It will cause all kinds of problems.

The PO didn't do this on my bike and it cause him to do some CRAZY stuff with the carbs. Did I say CRAZY?

You can check out what I have done so far on my rebuild link in my sig.

Comment

all right, i just went and tried to mess with the bike some and low and behold it done the same thing as before run like a dead dog, but then i took off the stock air box and it came to life, what would cause this and can i use pods instead of my box for this condition

Comment

on the CV Carbs of these bikes is it required for there to be a rubber plug over top of the pilot jet in the carb for them to run properly

Comment

on the CV Carbs of these bikes is it required for there to be a rubber plug over top of the pilot jet in the carb for them to run properly
                          Yes. www.Z1enterprises.com will have them if you are missing them.

If you have a camera post some pictures of the carbs and bike as well. That will help us see what you see and point things out easier.

It sounds to me like you really need to take the carbs off, separate them, and go through a complete cleaning and replace the o-rings. Use the tutorial on the site. I would start there and also replace the intake boots and o-rings. Anything else you do without doing this will only have the same results you are experiencing now.

Pretty cool that we have the exact same bike.

Comment

Working...
                          X