Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82GS650GL exhaust leak

Hi all,
    I have a slight exhaust leak coming from the under side of the exhaust on my recently acquired GL. I don't think it's a big issue but it's causing some popping / sputtering and may be contributing to some idle issues.

The leak appears to be coming from one of the crossover bars underneath. It's pretty darn rusty under there, but I don't know if I'm ready to sink money into replacing the pipes yet. Is there a reliable way to clean up the rust and patch the holes that doesn't require welding? It looks like the prior owner may have put some sort of tape on it but it's deteriorating.

I'll post pictures later if that helps. Basically I'm just curious if this is repairable or something I should just plan to live with until I can afford new pipes.

Thanks!

Originally posted by exzachtly1 View Post
    Hi all,
    Is there a reliable way to clean up the rust and patch the holes that doesn't require welding?
    No.

Eric

Comment

Are there actually holes, or are the tubular gaskets leaking exhaust pressure?
      sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
      '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
      '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
      '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
      '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
      '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
      '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
      '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
      '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
      '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Good question. I'm going to take a close look at it tonight. Any tips for pinpointing the leak area? Spray on some soapy water or something similar?

Comment

Well, I got some pictures of the exhaust underneath the bike tonight. Here is a link to them (please let me know if this is not accessible):

Maybe this will give you guys an idea of the state of these. This is the only area of the pipes that is badly corroded, they're pretty nice everywhere else.

I was having trouble telling where the air leak was - might need to wait until I have someone else here to check that out with me. Plus I think I ran the bike out of gas tonight playing around in the driveway , it was pretty low already I think unless the fuel gauge is deceiving me. I have no idea if it works right.

Comment

Pic #4 looks especially suspect. Are these things too corroded to repair?? I was hoping a spot weld might be a possibility.

Comment

It looks like at least one LARGE gaping hole in the cross-over and fairly well rotted/rusted down there.
              You may be able to cut that area out and have some sections welded in to eliminate the cross-over or...
              find another set of pipes.

Eric

Comment

Anyone in the Ohio area know a shop that would weld this for me? I have a couple neighbors that -might- be able to help me out - I'll need to ask around. One guy down the street has been working on an old corvette restoration and I'm pretty sure he has a welder

Comment

I'll also throw this out - If any members have an old set of pipes hanging around that are in working condition (anything is probably better than these) I may be interested in purchasing them. This is for the 82 GS650GL.

Comment

I had a similar situation on one of my bikes. The crossover on the 850 is a completely separate piece, so it was very easy to eliminate it and replace it with two straight tubes. On your bike, you would have to cut the #2 and #3 pipes just ahead of the crossover, then measure from there back to where they go into the outer pipes (#1 and #4). I got 1 1/2" exhaust tubing from Auto Zone, cut to proper length, then slotted the end, so I could clamp it down on the cut pipe. The 850 came with four clamps, two at the front, two at the rear of the crossover. You will need to get two clamps, as your bike only has two. I recommend stock-style clamps, they take a LOT less room than anything you will find at the auto parts store.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Man you're just a wealth of great information! This seems like something I could tackle for sure. The only part I'm a little confused about - when you say you "slotted the end" so they could be connected, what exactly do you mean, and how did you do it? Could the pipes alternatively be connected with some kind of adapter / connector piece?

Comment

Originally posted by exzachtly1 View Post
                        The only part I'm a little confused about - when you say you "slotted the end" so they could be connected, what exactly do you mean, and how did you do it?
                        Could the pipes alternatively be connected with some kind of adapter / connector piece?
                        Look carefully at the third picture. The left end of the pipe is a bit larger than the right, that's the way it comes when you buy it. That is to allow it to slip over the other pipe.

Now look again, you will see where I cut some slots in the left end. The slots are about one inch deep. I don't remember if I used a hacksaw or a cutoff wheel in the grinder. Having the slots will let the resulting "tabs" give a little so you can actually clamp on the pipe that you slide in there.

Any other 'connector' or 'adapter' that you add to the system will have to have some sort of clamp, so you will just be compounding the problem.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Perfect cure Steve!
                          Simple, effective and inexpensive. Perfect!

Eric

Comment

Yeah man that is truly excellent, I would not have thought to do this. I may even investigate tomorrow. I have about 5 hours to work on the bike, part of which will be giving it its first oil and filter change.

Will let you know what happens if I decide to tackle the pipes!

Comment

You can RTV over exhaust holes, it will last a couple years.
                              Ask me how I know.

Comment

Working...
                              X