82 GS1100GL Need some carb help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100GL Need some carb help

hi everyone im new here but have been into bikes for along time so on to the story.

ok one day my buddy shows up in my driveway with this very clean 82 GS1100GL (man i wanted it) so i took it around the block man this thing was pretty fast for an older bike and it ran great so months later he calls and says its not running right said the 2 center cylinders are not firing tell it get warmed then after that it runs like crap so i give him my input so 3-4 months go by and i ask him if he go it going good again and he said he thinks the headgaskets blown and he doesnt want to mess with it i said (jokeing) want to sell it to me for 400$ lol hes like ya come get it (me) OK!!!

so i get it back to my place and he has the valve cover off and carbs and the head is undone so my plan was to rip the head off and do the headgasket and valve adjusment and bam!! have a nice riding bike (ya right)

so i tore this thing down to the pistons replaced all gaskets and also put new oem piston rings in and ground the valve and installed new valve seals also did the valve adjustment. Got it back together and fired right up ok off to a good start so i take it down the street for the first time and i noticed that it has this kinda dead spot at right off idle to about 1/4 throttle and then it just takes off also noticed that it cut out up higher rpms to. ok so i ordered some jets stocks where 120 mains and 40 pilots so i pick up 122.5 mains and 45 and 47.5 pilots i know i went too big. So i installed the 122.5 mains and the 47.5 pilots and it reved alot faster so took it for a ride the dead spot was there but only a little bit off idle so i get back to the house and noticed that its smoking black (too rich) so i took it down to the 45 pilots and it still smokes so i took the air cleaner out of the box and the aftermarket pipe off to see if it would lean it out enough so i know for sure it needs the 42,5 pilots but still have smoke and a dead spot right off idle.

what i have checked and tried
    redid valve adjustment
    tried new plugs and changed coils
    tried stock jets but goes back to the first problem
    cleaned carb's

mods
    4-1 exhaust with slipon dnd pipe

so i kinda need some input im losing interest in this bike i just want to ride it without the bucking. Sorry for the book just wanted to give the whole thing
    Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2012, 06:25 PM. Reason: didnt want to start new post

Why does everyone apologize for explaining the situation?
    Originally posted by isaacson06 View Post
    Sorry for the book just wanted to give the whole thing

Now,

... i said (jokeing) want to sell it to me for 400$ lol hes like ya come get it (me) OK!!!
    Nice score.

so i tore this thing down to the pistons replaced all gaskets and also put new oem piston rings in and ground the valve and installed new valve seals also did the valve adjustment. Got it back together and fired right up ok
    Sounds good so far.

... i take it down the street for the first time and i noticed that it has this kinda dead spot at right off idle to about 1/4 throttle and then it just takes off ...
    Have you synchronized the carbs?

... i ordered some jets stocks where 120 mains and 40 pilots so i pick up 122.5 mains and 45 and 47.5 pilots i know i went too big. So i installed the 122.5 mains and the 47.5 pilots and it reved alot faster so took it for a ride the dead spot was there but only a little bit off idle ...
    What mods to intake and exhaust? I see that you later mention 4-1 pipe with a slip-on. How about intake?

Even with relatively wide-open pipes and pods, you seldom need to increase the pilot jet from the stock 40. If you do have to increase it, it would only be one size, to 42.5.

Depending on your intake configuration and your pipe, you might need to increase the mains to anything from 125 to 135, only plug chops will tell you for sure.

... still have smoke and a dead spot right off idle.
    The dead spot could be carbs that are out of sync, and are coming "online" at different times.

what i have checked and tried
    redid valve adjustment
    tried new plugs and changed coils
    tried stock jets but goes back to the first problem
    cleaned carb's
    Stock jets are not going to be large enough.

How did you clean the carbs?
    Did you take them completely apart, soak them overnight in Berryman's (or Gunk) Carb Cleaner Dip, then re-assemble theim with new o-rings from cycleorings.com? Did you also replace the intake boot o-rings (from the same source)?

so i kinda need some input im losing interest in this bike i just want to ride it without the bucking. Sorry for the book just wanted to give the whole thing
    Don't aplogize for filling us in. We would have had to play "20 Questions" if you hadn't done that.

Let me know when you have lost interest, I will accept another project.
    That might depend on where you are, though.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the one thing i havent done is sync them i just assumed that they ran good on the engine before but you know what assuming does lol you know how you said the dead spot could be from them out of sync and coming on at differnet times thats how it fills when riding its like 2-3 cylinders drop out at very low throttle and them you twist more and they come back on lol. I did my yamaha by just bench syncing with a business card and it worked great now can i do this with the gs1100 and it still be happy ? i just dont have the money to invest in the sync tool.

i did just open the a/f screws and i have them about 2 1/2 turns out and it seems to help alittle but still needs somthing.

I havent really cleaned the carbs since they are some of the cleanest carbs i have ever seen lol and they ran good before it died lol

Comment

Where do you live Isaacson? Maybe one of us is close enough to lend a hand.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I havent really cleaned the carbs since they are some of the cleanest carbs i have ever seen lol and they ran good before it died lol
          I can show you some of the scummiest carbs you have ever seen, and they have NO problem running.

The dirt that matters is on the INSIDE, in all the little passages where the gas is trying to get through.
          Unless you catch the gas that drips off your dirty carbs and try to recycle it, the cleanliness of the outside doesn't matter very much.

Once again, we have to point out that "shortcuts are really LONGcuts".

Take the time to do it properly ONCE, you will spend a lot more time riding, and relatively SOON.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Hi Mr. isaacson06,

OK, so here's the scoop. Pay attention because I'm only going to say this once. There are a couple of maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". You must properly address every item on theses lists in order to have a safe and reliable motorcycle. You can be severely killed or injured if you skip any steps or take any shortcuts, or at the very least severely frustrated. Here we go.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I can show you some of the scummiest carbs you have ever seen, and they have NO problem running.

The dirt that matters is on the INSIDE, in all the little passages where the gas is trying to get through.
              Unless you catch the gas that drips off your dirty carbs and try to recycle it, the cleanliness of the outside doesn't matter very much.

Once again, we have to point out that "shortcuts are really LONGcuts".

Take the time to do it properly ONCE, you will spend a lot more time riding, and relatively SOON.

I should have said I've opened them up and blow air through all the passage ways I just didn't deep clean them the way I do when I find them gunked up inside.

I live in iowa

Comment

... I just didn't deep clean them the way I do when I find them gunked up inside.
                Is there ANY possibility that somebody ahead of you might have dropped the float bows and sprayed them out so everything LOOKS good?

If you received them in that condition, you would be led to believe that they were "clean", and could just "blow air through all the passages" and they would be OK.

Good luck with the shortcuts, please let us know how many times you have to do them.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Ok lastnight tore them Down to the bones and soaked in my carb dig blow them out and put them back together this moring bench sync them and set float height that was way off. Stuck them back on fired it up and the problem was worst so I grab the brake clean and started spraying theintake boots and it revs up so Im pretty sure the o-rings are in time for changing but I'll have to wait tell Monday to grab my impact driver from work but I went ahead and ordered the o-rings and bolts from cycleorings (i thinks that's it) also ordered o-ring set for the carbs too so I'll update u guys tomorrow thanks for the help.

Steve this bike came from a close friend and the bike was just well taken care of by po since it was a one owner bike the guy had it serviced yearly. And for short cuts I don't take them in my line of work and side work I can't take short cuts not my style
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 12:28 AM.

Comment

ok guys so now ive done all i can think of i need some help bad

So far what ive done
                    completely rebuilt carbs the right way (dipping each carb and blowing them out)
                    benched sync
                    installed all new o-rings in carbs and intake o-rings
                    installed new intake clamps off 02 yzf600 i had laying around
                    compression test 145psi in all cylinders
                    valve adjustment (2 times now since rebuild)
                    tried differnet jetting with no luck
                    tried adjusting a/f screw
                    fresh gas and new fuel line
                    also changed out coils
                    rebuild
                    i installed new piston rings and set to spec before installed
                    valve job ground valve and then valve lapped
                    installed new valve seals and all new gaskets

mods
                    4-1 header with slip on muffler
                    everything else is stock yes air box too

heres a vid if you listen when i hold the rpms at 2k theres and kinda of missing/cutting out and this is what happens when riding around in low rpms
                    Also when the vid starts im holding it at 2k also

Comment

needs a carb sync,bet my life on it.no question

Comment

sync the carbs today and that didnt help the problem im having any other ideas the only thing i havent tried was going to 42.5 pilot jets only ones ive tried have been 45 and it seems to rev faster and the problem kinda goes away but then it fouls the plugs (being to rich) then starts to run like crap. im lost on this ive tried everything everyone has said but need everyones help still lol thanks

Comment

Please explain to us how you synched the carbs without a manometer.
                          Thanks.

Comment

i did it with a manometer

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                              Please explain to us how you synched the carbs without a manometer.
                              Thanks.
                              Silly guy. You throw the carbs in a bucket of water. If they don't float, ... they SYNC.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X