Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock won't turn?

Hi all,
    Got my first bike on Monday, was messing around in the driveway tonight going from neutral -> first, stopping, backing up, going again, just getting the feel for the bike

Anyways - I think the bike may be low on gas but I'm not quite sure since I have no idea if the fuel gauge is functioning properly. After a while of doing this amazingly fun stuff in the driveway it kept stalling out on me in first gear. Bike has idle issues too so I'm not sure; I'll gas it up tomorrow to be sure.

Long story short - I tried turning the petcock to reserve, with no luck. The thing would NOT budge. I did this with my fingers - didn't try pliers yet but it looks like it had been manipulated with pliers before (dents all over it). Is it normal to be this hard to turn? Do I need to take this thing apart and clean it, or perhaps replace it?

No it's not normal to be hard to turn and pliers might do it but I would at least remove it and try to clean what you can. Just know that rebuild kits don't work so if you need to replace it you'll want to buy a new one from any of the recommended vendors.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

hmmmmm
      mine is hardish to turn but I never had to use pliers before

Comment

I shoot a little WD-40 on mine when they start to turn hard.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
        X