Major problems with the repair shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beardedmonkey View Post
    For now, the question is just whether the shop is pulling my leg: I found 4 Suzuki (not aftermarket) rebuild kits for under $70 but the shop is telling me they cost $299. I think I have more than enough ground to stand on given they didn't contact me to authorize the purchase and installation of the kit, but I'm wondering what you all think. For now I'll hang my head knowing I should just learn to do this myself.
    If they are genuine Suzuki rebuild kits, have them show you the genuine Suzuki dealer invoice for them

What is a modulator?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
      I'm only 80 miles away if you want to bring it over my way . I'd be willing to help you straighten it out. Where did you bring it?
      Wow, that's quite an offer -- thanks man. I brought it to Greater Boston Motorsports. Lemme see how things work out tomorrow and, if necessary, I'll be in touch. Though I should know better, I've got my fingers crossed that they've remedied the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

What is a modulator?
        That's a term a befuddled dealer uses as he presents you with his bill.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It modulates your money into his account.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            It modulates your money into his account.
            That too. But they were using it interchangeably with "rectifier."

Comment

Even the very highly reputable repair shops dissapoint. I took my '82 GS1100EZ to a repair shop for a carb adjustment, it was running hot.
              I was lucky to ever get it back. When I did it was "shop worn," new scratches, missing hardware, ran worse than when I took it there,
              I had Chef rebuild a set of carbs I got on E-bay and put them on it, and I painstakingly did all the work correcting what they messed up. And I was fortunate to be able to do so with my limited knowledge of working on these machines.

The fact of the matter is, no one cares more about your bike than you do.
              And if you think a hired mechanic is going to painstakingly do the quality of work that you would do, you're mistaken.
              You have to put the effort to learn as much as you can about these bikes as far as maintaining them, where to get parts, etc. to make having one worthwhile.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Can happen to any of us. Before I found this great site, I bought carb. kits and tried to rebuild myself, never could get them right and two of the carbs had broken float posts. Found a mechanic who works almost only on old bikes. He had my bike for 3 months, and it would have been longer but I kept calling him. Charged me $600. he supposedly replaced two broken carbs, rebuild all four and sync. Found out year or two later when bike wasn't running well, he had only replaced one carb. and other one had JB holding post on (although wasn't any longer). Found this site, bought o-rings, cleaned following instructions on Basscliff's site. Bike has never ran so well since. So don't feel alone it does happen, just do what everyone on here says and if carbs are still not right do it your self. I had never done it before(at least right), now I have done three sets with great results. Sorry this is so long and winded. terrylee

Comment

pay them half of what they want, get your bike back, and never look back or go to them again....

you will get all the help right here, and one of the members has already offered to assist you.....

I don't think you will get away without paying anything, as most life's lessons, there are always costs involved.....

best of luck

Comment

Listen to these good people here !
                    I too learned the hard and expensive way.
                    If I can do it so can you, tear it apart and make it right.
                    Alot of experiance here.

Comment

The float needles are the problem. Regardless, the kits have been purchased and the carbs rebuilt. Is $299 ridiculous for the kits? Is what I'm seeing on ebay (under $70) ridiculous? I'm thinking I'll tell them that had they contacted me, I would have purchased the kits -- like I did the boots -- myself. Seem reasonable?
                      Not going to beat you some more about not taking it to a shop, but the $70 for rebuild kits is ridiculous. The $299 for kits is ABSURD.

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      What is a modulator?
                      ... But they were using it interchangeably with "rectifier."
                      If they don't even know what to call parts on their own bikes, it's a good clue they might not know what they are doing.

The only "modulator" that I know of on a motorcycle is an after-market device that modulates the intensity of the headlight as an attention-getting device.
                      I just can't imagine taking a bike to a dealer to have a modulator problem resolved, you just get a new modulator.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That too. But they were using it interchangeably with "rectifier."
                        Yes, same thing. This helps to rectify his cash flow problem.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          The only "modulator" that I know of on a motorcycle is an after-market device that modulates the intensity of the headlight as an attention-getting device.
                          there are also brake light modulators.......

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                            there are also brake light modulators.......

Technically-speaking, they are actually "flashers", as they do turn the brake lights fully ON and fully OFF.

Headlight modulators are required by law to provide full ON for 50-70% of the duty cycle and no less than 17% intensity for the remainder, so they never go fully OFF.
                            That is what makes them "modulators" and the brake light items "flashers".

Yeah, I have both of them on many of our bikes.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

LOL, don't shoot the messenger, only going by what I read on the Internet...

for example

Be seen & ride safe with light modulators for your 2018 - 2020 Honda Gold Wing, GL1800 & F6B. Made for brake lights, headlights & more. Shop now at WingStuff.com.

see this link

and you get stuff like this

Search Results

1. Motorcycle Brake Lights Modulators & Strobes Brake Lighting

www.customdynamics.com/brake_light_modulator.htmCached - Similar
                                You +1'd this publicly. Undo
                                Motorcycle Brake Light Modulators. We carry brake light modulators from Signal Dynamics, Custom Dynamics, and Kisan. Street Magic Ultimate Brake Light ...

2. Signal Dynamics BackOff Motorcycle Brake Light Modulator ...

www.customdynamics.com/signal_dynamics_back_off_brake_light_ ...Cached - Similar
                                Signal Dynamics Motorcycle Brake Light Modulators. Wig Wag Brake Light Module. For Use With Bikes With TWIN Brake Lights! NOTE: This module is designed ...

3. Headlight and Brake Light Modulators built to last a lifetime!

www.kriss.com/Cached - Similar
                                Our motorcycle safety products include headlight modulator, brake light flasher, trunk and tour pack light flasher, spoiler flasher, brake and running lights for turn ...

each one had modulator in the tag line......
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2012, 10:41 PM.

Comment

The first one was "enlightening", Kriss calls their brake modules "Flashers".

Signal Dynamics (the company featured in the second link) tends to call things what they want, and even offer stuff that is not legal, saying that it is.
                                Not a company in whose products I would be interested.

Regardless, this is taking this thread seriously off-course.

sigpic
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                                X