Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major problems with the repair shop

1978 GS750.

They've had my bike since June. First it was a modulator issue that took them forever to fix, in part because they weren't calling me when they should have. They took off $150 because I pointed out their error. Good on them; case closed, though actually there's still a charging issue (now it's the generator). Whatever, I'll get that fixed later; thank god for kickstarters that work well.

So, I picked up the bike, rode it 4 miles, and quickly discovered I couldn't get away with not having the carbs done. Had to have it towed. While they were at it, I told them to do the valves as well.

Turns out I needed new boots, which I found on ebay for $80 including shipping, and brought to them.

Picked up the bike, paid $730 in parts and labor, brought it home, discovered it was leaking tons of gas out of the overflow (right over the chain and getting on the tire -- super sketchy to ride and I definitely felt it fishtailing before I realized what the problem was).

Brought it back. Needles were set to high. They "fixed" it.

Picked it up, brought it home, still leaking.

Brought it back. They told me I wouldn't have to pay any more. No one called me so I called mid-week. They told me it would be fixed by yesterday. Today they called to say it was ready. They also told me that while I didn't owe them for labor (duh!), I did owe them $299 for parts. Evidently they'd bought carb rebuild kits for each carb and rebuilt them without ever getting my consent to do so. They're telling me it would only take genuine Suzuki parts since there are no aftermarket kits. I said no way, that they'd told me I wouldn't have to pay, and that regardless, no one had called to ask for my consent for the new parts. Furthermore, the leaking was something it wasn't doing when I brought it to them. They told me the "underwater" sound I was hearing before I got the carbs done was the carbs backing up and into the engine, and that this was also the cause of the leak. Fine. Moreover, what they'd first done was just a clean; this job was now a full rebuild. I pointed out that the fact remained they'd not called to confirm the purchase of the new parts. They said they'd give me a discount, but couldn't say how much, and that they'd get back to me Monday.

Now I've just done a search on ebay and I've found both aftermarket and genuine Suzuki rebuild kits for (4 of them) for under $70. Can someone explain to me how in the world they're coming up with $299 for the same parts?

You can not depend on repair shops to repair your bike. There are very few that understand our beloved Suzuki's. If you are going to ride a 34 year young motorcycle I suggest that you start doing your own repairs or prepare your self to be disappointed every time you send it to a shop. You will find everything you need to know on the repairs right here on this site and alot of knowledgeable people to help hold your hand when you need the extra help.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Do it yourself, with the help of all the guys (and girls) here even an idiot like me can take on the maintenance required. Start reading everything on the BassCliff site and get to it. Have some belief and when you need help the answers are here.
      Never take your bike to a shop again.......
      Last edited by allojohn; 08-26-2012, 08:06 PM. Reason: sp
      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
        You can not depend on repair shops to repair your bike. There are very few that understand our beloved Suzuki's. If you are going to ride a 34 year young motorcycle I suggest that you start doing your own repairs or prepare your self to be disappointed every time you send it to a shop. You will find everything you need to know on the repairs right here on this site and alot of knowledgeable people to help hold your hand when you need the extra help.
        This I know, and yes, I'm trying not to be overly disappointed given that most shops won't even look at a bike this old. Unfortunately, everyone I know tells me that for someone with very little mechanical know-how, rebuilding and syncing carbs -- four of them no less -- is maybe not the place to start. With smaller repairs, I'm willing to try my hand, and then by the time it needs another carb job I'll be ready.

For now, the question is just whether the shop is pulling my leg: I found 4 Suzuki (not aftermarket) rebuild kits for under $70 but the shop is telling me they cost $299. I think I have more than enough ground to stand on given they didn't contact me to authorize the purchase and installation of the kit, but I'm wondering what you all think. For now I'll hang my head knowing I should just learn to do this myself.

Comment

I am assuming you have the VM 26 stock carbs...sorry to tell you , but theres NOTHING in them that ever needs replaced except the Orings. ( unless some azzhat has torqued down the pilot jets and broke the tips ). Other than that the oprings are all youll need. Theres lots of guys here that will help you along.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Well they are selling you a bill of goods because you don't need kits for the carbs, you needed to buy an O-ring kit from cycle o-rings and some bowl gaskets, maybe $30. total. And I'm sure that there are members here near you that would help if you asked. I'm about 80 miles from you but there are members closer. You have been on the site for awhile you should read your mega welcome, all the info is in there.
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              I am assuming you have the VM 26 stock carbs...sorry to tell you , but theres NOTHING in them that ever needs replaced except the Orings. ( unless some azzhat has torqued down the pilot jets and broke the tips ). Other than that the oprings are all youll need. Theres lots of guys here that will help you along.
              The float needles are the problem. Regardless, the kits have been purchased and the carbs rebuilt. Is $299 ridiculous for the kits? Is what I'm seeing on ebay (under $70) ridiculous? I'm thinking I'll tell them that had they contacted me, I would have purchased the kits -- like I did the boots -- myself. Seem reasonable?

Comment

Sorry bud, but those carbs (all four) are about as simple as they can be. There is nothing scary about cleaning them and you likely don't need carb kits, just new gaskets for the top and bottom. They need to be completely dismantled and cleaned in Berrymans for 24 hours. The o-rings need to be replaced and you can find them here. Get on the BassCliff site and start reading!
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                  Sorry bud, but those carbs (all four) are about as simple as they can be. There is nothing scary about cleaning them and you likely don't need carb kits, just new gaskets for the top and bottom. They need to be completely dismantled and cleaned in Berrymans for 24 hours. The o-rings need to be replaced and you can find them here. Get on the BassCliff site and start reading!
                  There really needs to be an "I told you so!" emoticon for everyone to insert. My head is hanging. Nonetheless, what do you all think about my prior suggestion -- that I pay no more than what I saw online, as that's what I would have purchased -- given that I'm now officially as SOL as everyone keeps reminding me I am

Comment

Float needles are steel ( some have rubber tips ) but yours should be solid steel and they dont need replaced...what needs to be done is to soak all the internal bits for 24 hrs in berrymans and poke out all the holes in the pilot and needle jets with a fine wire. Then spary them all good with some carb spray and compressed air. 2 carb bodies will fit in the can side by side if you remove the basket. Soak them for 24 hrs per set. Same thing with them...lots of carb spray and compressed air to clear all the passages, replace all the orings on the needles and the fuel tubes, pilot jets ( bottom screw ) set at 3/4 to 7/8 turn out from LIGHTLY seated and the mixture screws ( on the sides of the throats ) at 2 turns out. Good to go to run the bike and do the vacuum symcing and fine tuning. I would do them but youll be down the rebuild time and the shipping time...probably like 2 weeks total. The orings will cost you 18.00 from cycleorings and the bowl gaskets will cost you 10 bucks from Sirius Consolidated. Less than 30 bucks total in parts and about another 20 or so to send them to me.
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The carbs are probably leaking fuel from everywhere because they "F"ed up the float heights.

Comment

Originally posted by beardedmonkey View Post
                        There really needs to be an "I told you so!" emoticon for everyone to insert. My head is hanging. Nonetheless, what do you all think about my prior suggestion -- that I pay no more than what I saw online, as that's what I would have purchased -- given that I'm now officially as SOL as everyone keeps reminding me I am
                        I hate to say it but I think they have you over a barrel , not sure of your state but here a shop can hold a vehicle till the bill is payed. You could try to get them to cut you a break but if they don't want to I think you have no choice but to pay or fight the bill in court which will cost you more in the long run I would guess. Sorry but I think you are screwed again and worst part is the bike is probably still not right.
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                          I hate to say it but I think they have you over a barrel , not sure of your state but here a shop can hold a vehicle till the bill is payed. You could try to get them to cut you a break but if they don't want to I think you have no choice but to pay or fight the bill in court which will cost you more in the long run I would guess. Sorry but I think you are screwed again and worst part is the bike is probably still not right.
                          Yeah, I mean I guess what it comes down to is, they have the bike, and they set the price. Going to court is really expensive. Still, that's getting ahead of myself. They've been reasonable with me in the past, and have made it right when they've messed up. I have good rapport with the guy so I guess I'll just have to see what happens. As for the bike not being right... Hope springs, right?

Comment

Weigh the options...if your basically done with the riding year, then Im willing to sort them. If you want to ride it as is till too cold then we can do them then. Like i said though, youll be down a few weeks with the back and forth shipping. Theres always the hope that someone close to you can come by and give you the blow by blow and get you into carbs rebuilding 101.

Comment

I'm only 80 miles away if you want to bring it over my way . I'd be willing to help you straighten it out. Where did you bring it?
                              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Working...
                              X