Cleaning/salvaging float needles and valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning/salvaging float needles and valves

I have my CV carbs torn down and in last set of parts is in the dip. I have my o-ring set, and some new bowl gaskets and passage plugs are on the way. Other than being discolored, everything is looking great, with the exception of one float needle. It has a small very shallow ring worn into it. (cannot feel it, but I can see it under a magnifying glass) I'm sure that means the valve body is the same, right?
    I'm wondering if anyone has ever "lapped" a float and seat as you would with intake or exhaust valves? A little compound down in there and give it a few spins??
    If not, do I need to replace the entire valve, or just the needle? Z1 has some, but the part #s don't match up. Anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks!

Originally posted by MatBirch View Post
    I have my CV carbs torn down and in last set of parts is in the dip. I have my o-ring set, and some new bowl gaskets and passage plugs are on the way. Other than being discolored, everything is looking great, with the exception of one float needle. It has a small very shallow ring worn into it. (cannot feel it, but I can see it under a magnifying glass) I'm sure that means the valve body is the same, right?
    I'm wondering if anyone has ever "lapped" a float and seat as you would with intake or exhaust valves? A little compound down in there and give it a few spins??

If not, do I need to replace the entire valve, or just the needle? Z1 has some, but the part #s don't match up. Anyone know where I can get one?

Thanks!
    I take the needles and polish them in my hand by spinning around with 00 steel wool and they look new again.
    As for the seat, I take a dab of compound on the end of a Q-tip and spin it around by hand in the seats.

Eric

Comment

Working...
    X