Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I converted a 1980 non-lever petcock to a 1979 lever petcock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I converted a 1980 non-lever petcock to a 1979 lever petcock.

I ordered a new petcock for my 79 GS1000L only to find out it didn't fit. Apparently I had a 1980 tank. So I made a spacer to mount the better 1979 petcock to my tank. Someone suggested that I post what I did as they thought others might want to ditch the crappy 1980 petcock. Here is a link to my Picasa web album.

Thanks for sharing. That looks like it will do the job but did the spacer need to be as thick? Just wondering.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

For my application yes. The new petcock has a lever and it would not clear the bottom of the tank. Also the pickup tubes were about 1/2 inch longer and I didn't want them to hit the top of the tank. Also the reserve would kick in a bit too soon I think. 3/8 inch would probably have been sufficient, however the bar stock that the local welding shop had on hand was 1/2 inch.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 02:34 PM. Reason: thought of something else

Comment

Well done and thanks for the pics.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thats interesting because the petcock on my 1980 750L uses 50mm spacing. I was under the impression that all the 1980 petcocks without the lever were spaced 50 mm. I just checked Z1's website and the majority of GS bikes have 44mm bolt spacing except for the 1980's bikes that have 50mm. I like the idea of using the conversion plate, the 1980's petcock sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
            I like the idea of using the conversion plate, the 1980's petcock sucks.
            That is why I decided to adapt the petcock rather than ship it back and order an 80 unit (though I still wish it had an Off position).

Comment

Working...
            X