5k idle????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5k idle????

I have a 78 gs 750, 4-1pipes, k&n filters, rebuilt top end...
    Carbs are jetted and synced, idle on fire at 5000rpms, I have the idle knob all the way out, and all jets should be right, not sure why
    Bad cable?
    Any other reasons this could be?

Originally posted by havoK View Post
    I have a 78 gs 750, 4-1pipes, k&n filters, rebuilt top end...
    Carbs are jetted and synced, idle on fire at 5000rpms, I have the idle knob all the way out, and all jets should be right, not sure why
    Bad cable?
    Any other reasons this could be?
    That usually indicates a very lean condition, normally by some sort of leak(s) in the intake system. O-rings, intake boots, air filter boots, etc.
    Or slides stuck open, but that is a bit more rare.

Comment

George, I'm not real familiar with those carbs, but with the idle backed all the way out, shouldn't the butterflies be completely closed? I'm thinking a tight or dodgy cable.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I talked to a friend, he said it has to be a cable, going to try that, we will see

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
          George, I'm not real familiar with those carbs, but with the idle backed all the way out, shouldn't the butterflies be completely closed? I'm thinking a tight or dodgy cable.
          You may be right, I keep thinking about CVs. Seems like you could pull the carbs with the cable attached and check. It might be something as simple as a mis-routed cable. That was also a push-pull arrangement, so either cable could be the issue.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

You might want to check the newbie mistakes thread linked in my signature and see if anything rings a bell. No. 1 most common reason for hanging idle is an air leak from the intake boot O-rings.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by havoK View Post
              I talked to a friend, he said it has to be a cable, going to try that, we will see
              Do the rpms change when you rotate the steering from left stop to right stop? That'd point to a cable issue.

You want to have a little slack in the throttle cables at the carbs. If they are tight, check the adjustment locknuts first, the cable routing second. I can't picture the linkage on the VMs, but the CVs have a little bracket the cable locks into at the carb rack, and that can cause problems with cable tension if the bracket gets bent.

Another place to look is in the throttle tube on the grip. If you've had it apart, the cables have an annoying habit of popping out of the groove when you are not looking. I've seen that as a cause of a racing idle more than a few times.
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Got it, zip ties and throttle cables=bad mix

Comment

LOL. Glad you found it.
                  To modify your statement, tight zip ties and cables = trouble. You can use them, but the cables need to be able to flex as the inner cable slides up and down. So if you use them (I do) make sure they are nice and loose, allowing the cable housing to move as the inner cable moves up and down.
                  Congrats, and ride on.

Comment

Yeah, they were on tight, must have been twisted on the top end rebuild, going to replace them now just to get away from future issues, thanks for ideas
                    Ride on as well

Comment

Working...
                    X