No announcement yet.

82 gs650 l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive heard alot of stories related to starting fluid causing major damage, have never seen it but heard the stories. what i do is use a spray bottle with gasoline and use it on the fine mist . if its a two stroke i use gas/oil mix in the bottle. and usually just to see if gas is the issue, never to run it for any length of time.

Comment

Originally posted by bikeboy929 View Post
      first off, pilot jet, the screw at 8 oclock, isn't adjustable then if i understand correctly,

second, this is probably stupid, but how do i get at the " idle mixture screw", there seems to be just a hole there, looks like a cap maybe? do i pull it out with a wire or something?
      Those mixture screw plugs are there to keep us from upsetting emissions settings. They need to be removed in order to get at the adjustment screws. Gently drill into them (straight down) with a small bit until the bit goes completely through the plug (they're aluminium, drill easily). Don't push down hard on the drill or you might run into the screw head and damage it; after the hole is drilled, screw a one inch or so #6 or 8 self tapping sheet metal screw into the hole until it "bites" firmly. Then, using vise grips or pliers wiggle and pull on the screw until the damned thing comes out, then throw it away. This sounds involved, but is easy if you're careful. Next, you might find the adjustment screw stuck, use patience and plenty of WD40. Work them back and forth with minimal force until they come out. Repeat 3 more times . Hope this is helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by qisteve View Post
        Those mixture screw plugs are there to keep us from upsetting emissions settings. They need to be removed in order to get at the adjustment screws. Gently drill into them (straight down) with a small bit until the bit goes completely through the plug (they're aluminium, drill easily). Don't push down hard on the drill or you might run into the screw head and damage it; after the hole is drilled, screw a one inch or so #6 or 8 self tapping sheet metal screw into the hole until it "bites" firmly. Then, using vise grips or pliers wiggle and pull on the screw until the damned thing comes out, then throw it away. This sounds involved, but is easy if you're careful. Next, you might find the adjustment screw stuck, use patience and plenty of WD40. Work them back and forth with minimal force until they come out. Repeat 3 more times . Hope this is helpful.
        very, thank you

Comment

ok, thanks! these carbs sure come off quicker the second time
          I love enthusiasm!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

pretty sure i found the problem, i when i cleaned them earlyer, the gaskets didn't look very good, and they had red gasket sealer on them already, when i put them back together i used high tack carb sealer ( link ), my float level must have been high, because that stuff is every where now :/ definatly need new gaskets now

Comment

Originally posted by qisteve View Post
              ..., use patience and plenty of WD40. ...
              It works even BETTER if you use penetrating oil, instead.

WD-40 is a great product, but it is NOT a penetrating oil Use Liquid Wrench, Kroil, a mix of acetone and ATF, whatever, all of them work better than WD.

..., when i put them back together i used high tack carb sealer ( link ), my float level must have been high, because that stuff is every where now :/ definatly need new gaskets now
              And when you get your new gaskets, put them in DRY. NO gasket sealer ANYWHERE in the carbs.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

got it to start, it gave me trouble, but it hasn't been started in over 5 years, so i am happy with that, but there was gas dripping out of the carbs, the petcock on the tank doesn't seal right inside, so it's always on prime, is threre a place where i can replace just the ring on the inside of the petcock to seal it again, and is that my only problem now?

Comment

also, when i cleaned the carbs, i put new float pins and seats in, and adjusted the float height to the corrrect amount

Comment

They do sell petcock rebuild kits.
                    If fuel is dripping out of your carbs, it is generally the needle and seat. Did you buy OEM replacements or aftermarket units?

Comment

one more thing, i had them hooked up in the prime position, befroe starting the bike, and they didn't leak, i left it on prime close to 10 min, so i think the new pins and seats are fine, just the petcock seal, if i understand correctly

Comment

petcock repair kit is the only option then? all i need is the oring, the rest seems to be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          They do sell petcock rebuild kits.
                          If fuel is dripping out of your carbs, it is generally the needle and seat. Did you buy OEM replacements or aftermarket units?
                          i uses after market ones, but the needles and seats were seated fine until i tryed starting it, also does it matter if i didn't have it centered?

Comment

Umm, didn't have what centered?

Comment

the bike, i ment, sorry, i tested the float level like in the cleaning guide, but when i tested that, the carbs where level, when the bike is tilted, they aren't level, anyway, i guess i buy a full repair kit for the petcock, and then go from there to see if the needles are still leaking or not.

Comment

Your petcock is 30 years old- replacement parts may or may not fit well . For $45 you can get a brand new made in Japan petcock and eliminate the petcock as a problem and just have the carbs to blame!

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X