82 gs650 l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
    Your petcock is 30 years old- replacement parts may or may not fit well . For $45 you can get a brand new made in Japan petcock and eliminate the petcock as a problem and just have the carbs to blame!

http://www.georgefixs.com/servlet/th...S750%2C/Detail
    +1 on a new petcock vs rebuild...Boulevard Suzuki had them on sale in the past for under $40.00

where are you located bikeboy929? Perhaps there is a member near you willing to lend a hand should you need it
    Last edited by BigD_83; 09-17-2012, 04:19 PM.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

MN, white bear lake. any one around here?

Comment

Fixed it with a 1 cent oring from hardware store. I am guessing that the ring I got isn't't gas computable long term though. Anyway, I am moving on to carb syncing

Comment

Nicely done, but do get that o-ring replaced as soon as possible. Your suspicions are likely correct about its resistance to gasoline. Was it the o-ring on the plastic barrel inside the petcock? Do you have any pictures?

Little bits of rubber/plastic breaking down in gasoline can make their way to the carburetor and clog up the jets and internal passages. Last year I went through a complete stripping of a carburetor, found evidence of rubber, which at the the time I thought was really fine, black rust. After some struggles with keeping it idling, I discovered that part of the choke assembly had been breaking down and was sending little bombs of goodness into the enrichener circuit, clogging the heck out of it. In that case it was a single carburetor, and not a whole bank of four. Still, a total PITA to pull and clean up a second time.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by bikeboy929 View Post
            MN, white bear lake. any one around here?
            I'm not far away. Not a wise GS sage like many around here, but nearby and willing to help if I can.

Comment

Yes, remove that o-ring as soon as possible. If you wish to replace it, get a viton o-ring. NAPA might carry a supply of them, they are good for off the center parts.

Comment

Originally posted by rteam2 View Post
                I'm not far away. Not a wise GS sage like many around here, but nearby and willing to help if I can.
                Do you have a carb synced by chance?

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  Yes, remove that o-ring as soon as possible. If you wish to replace it, get a viton o-ring. NAPA might carry a supply of them, they are good for off the center parts.
                  Defiantly will check it out today

Comment

Originally posted by bikeboy929 View Post
                    Do you have a carb synced by chance?
                    Are you asking about the tool or if my carbs are synched? I bought the tool last spring and haven't gotten around to using it yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X