Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning my engine? What aboout the header?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning my engine? What aboout the header?

BikeBandit finally got around to shipping my order, so I'd like to start knocking out any prep work I can before it gets here. One of the things on the agenda includes cleaning off the engine (in frame) to see where the oil leaks are. I *think* I've got three slow ones- valve cover, one of the legs out to the oil cooler, and one from the oil drain plug. It's hard to say for certain given the engine's current grubby state. What the best/easiest route to cleaning off the engine? Speaking of the oil cooler- if I anted to replace the old rubber lines between it and the case what would I use? Fuel line? Could I use a length of braided stainless brakeline? Not sure if the oil is rubber corrosive like gas is.

Next is the headers. I'll be taking them off and installing new exhaust gaskets, "part #6" bits (whatever they are, they were on the diagram), exhaust studs/acorns, and a new slip-on muffler. Is there a decent way to clear the crud out of the inside of the headers (if any)? The other question is the slight surface rust on them. Can I just hit them with steel wool or will that mess up the coating? I ordered exhaust wrap for the header so I'd like to get it cleaner up before I wrap it. Should I paint it before I wrap it to avoid rust returning?

I've also got a Compufire to install, a Rick's stator to install, and I might move it over to bladed fuses while I'm at it. Anyone near Cincinnati that would like to swing by and help, PLEASE feel free. I have some mechanical ability, but the thought of screwing something up and it costing MORE money is what's scaring me.

P.S. - I know she's not going to win any beauty pageants before winter hits, but I'd like to get it looking at least Plain Jane instead of Ugly Betty. Anyone have a decent guesstimate to what a frame powder-coating would cost? I figure I can get that done over the winter along with the engine blasted and painted.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2012, 01:04 PM.

Simple Green and a scrub brush or brake cleaner?

Comment

^^^^^
      Bingo.

I paid $225 to have my frame, center stand, mounts an upper triple powder coated.

Comment

I used some high gloss rattle can gloss black on the frame, about $12
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

I used a simple degreaser, along with a few old toothbrushes, wire brushes on the really bad spots, and then lots of elbow getting all of it off with rags.
          The headers I used a product called Blue-away, with a little steel wool, came out really nice.
          As for the frame, aluminum foil the engine and get some engine spray black.
          Ride on!

Comment

gun cleaning swabs & brushes. 38 cal

Comment

Working...
            X