OEM Mikuni pilot jet references

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Mikuni pilot jet references

I'd like to go for larger pilot jets on my BS 32 SS carbs and I'm confused by the Mikuni part numbers?
    They list three types of pilot jets that have the same physical dimensions i.e.
    MKG42.5, MKL42.5 and MKM42.5
    Which one should I buy?
    sigpicJohn Kat
    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Why do you feel you need larger pilot jets?

Unless and until you have a big-bore piston kit and radical cams, along with pods and a race pipe, the stock pilots usually do just fine.

You might have to turn the screws out another turn or so, but the jets themseslves should be fine.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I seem to think I did know at one time but the brain cells that retained those letters appear to have departed for a better place....

If you type the numbers in to google there's a website with photos of them - see if you can match them up visually.

bpshop.fr is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, bpshop.fr has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

It's a website with a strange, unidentifable language........
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The kind you want is called bs30/96
        This is where I buy mine:

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          I seem to think I did know at one time but the brain cells that retained those letters appear to have departed for a better place....

If you type the numbers in to google there's a website with photos of them - see if you can match them up visually.

bpshop.fr is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, bpshop.fr has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

It's a website with a strange, unidentifable language........
          Very funny
          That's the place where I found them in the first place...
          I believe the language was used by a guy called Lafayette?
          Not good memories for everyone maybe?
          More seriously, I'm still at a loss on which one to buy?
          sigpicJohn Kat
          My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Why do you feel you need larger pilot jets?

Unless and until you have a big-bore piston kit and radical cams, along with pods and a race pipe, the stock pilots usually do just fine.

You might have to turn the screws out another turn or so, but the jets themseslves should be fine.

I want to try a larger pilot jet because when I accelerate just off idle the engine kind of pauses.
            The matters improved slightly by lifting the needle one stop higher but it's not yet satisfactory to me...
            I saw somewhere that when you increase the main jet by three sizes, you ought to increase the pilot jet by one size.
            I'm running pods and a 4 into 1 on my GS 1000 ET engine and I have a Dynojet stage 3 kit installed.
            sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
              I'd like to go for larger pilot jets on my BS 32 SS carbs and I'm confused by the Mikuni part numbers?
              They list three types of pilot jets that have the same physical dimensions i.e.
              MKG42.5, MKL42.5 and MKM42.5
              Which one should I buy?
              Those jets are different physically, i.e. one may have holes in the body of the jet or it may be an actual "jet." I would buy all 3 then match them to the one from your carb and return the 2 wrong ones. But hey, that's just me
              Definitely wait until someone more knowledgable then me comes along though

Comment

When you say accelerate off idle do you mean giving it full beans from low revs or just twisting the throttle a little bit?
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

I want to try a larger pilot jet because when I accelerate just off idle the engine kind of pauses.
                  The matters improved slightly by lifting the needle one stop higher but it's not yet satisfactory to me...
                  Well, "just off idle" is not yet into needle territory, try turning the mixture screws out another half turn to see if that helps.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                    When you say accelerate off idle do you mean giving it full beans from low revs or just twisting the throttle a little bit?
                    Just twisting the throttle a little bit!
                    I'll try to turn out the idle screws a half a turn to see if that works?
                    sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Well, "just off idle" is not yet into needle territory, try turning the mixture screws out another half turn to see if that helps.

I'll try that
                      Thanks
                      sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Just twisting the throttle a little bit!
                        I'll try to turn out the idle screws a half a turn to see if that works?
                        If half a turn doesn't work try a full turn. You're on the pilot circuit and there's qute a bit of adjustment can be made with that screw.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Working...
                        X