May have messed up my 83 GS850. Need HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May have messed up my 83 GS850. Need HELP

I decides I wanted to make my bike sound louder so I decided to drill holes in the exhaust, I only did 3 per exhaust in between those six holes on the back. At first it seemed to be running fine, but then when I went to give it some power it did not go like it used to, also going up hill I started losing Aton of power and had to shift down. Any suggestions? Need help as this is my primary source of transportation. Thanks.

Undrill the holes.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

3 holes was too much, and you are releasing too much back pressure(?). Best chance would be to tap the holes and use bolts to cover the holes(?). Expert will have to chime in on this before you do it. Best to use an aftermarket exhaust system to achieve sound, not some holes drilled in the exhaust.

Comment

I have been looking at exhausts but they all are for 80-82 gs850, will they fit my model. Also, I kind of like the 4-1, any news on them?

Comment

No, no, no.
          You need to rejet. You are now flowing more air, you need to inject more fuel. Try one size larger on the mains. Geez. Next time, do not drill the holes until you actually know the consequences of your actions.

Comment

What do you mean by try one size larger on the mains? I am obviously new to this

Comment

Go here and spend a month or so reading about your motorcycle:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

bball, you have not met disaster (yet). However, if that question was for real, you do need to study before you do anything else. Please go to the site kent pointed to and start reading. You must understand how motorcycles work before you make any more changes or you will end up hurting yourself, and possibly others.
                Best of luck.

Comment

You've ruined your flux capacitor, those holes will be the first place to rust out now too. So, best to just buy a new exhaust. Get a 4 into 1, it'll sound very nice (if that's what you are into). Personally, having that loud drone sound while cruising on the interstate sucks.

Comment

Well there are a couple options I have looked into and let me know what you all think. Option 1: I can work on it myself, I have the Haynes manual and I have a slight mechanical sense, the con to this option is that I don't have the time to really do it with work and school. Option 2: have someone else rejet it for me but don't really know what cost may be, so I am looking into that. Or option 3: get a new exhaust, my only problem is I cannot find one for an 83, all my searches have brought up 80-82. Will these fit? Or option 4: I know a welder who would probably weld something on there for a case of beer.

What are your guys' thoughts on any of these?
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2012, 12:29 PM.

Comment

If it fits an '82 850, it will also fit an '83.

There might be a small difference at the rear hanger if it is meant for a GL model, but that is easy to adjust for.

About the re-jetting issue: If you go with your option 3, you will need to re-jet anyway, so your options have boiled down to 1. fix the holes and keep it stock or 2. change the pipe and re-jet the carbs.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Fix the holes... Though I'm not convinced this is your only problem... I drilled ALL of those holes on my '82 650L and it ran GREAT. Only deepened the tone, didn't make it much louder. But that really doesn't matter. If it ran good before doing this to it, and it's only gonna cost you a case of beer (that likely you will get to help drink) then do that...

But, just the same! You should follow that link and do ALL of the reading you can stand, and start learning something about your bike. AND DON'T DO ANYTHING LIKE THAT AGAIN UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT THE RESULTS WILL BE. All you have to do is ask these very knowledgeable people here. They will NOT steer you wrong...
                        '83 GS 1100T
                        The Jet

sigpic
                        '95 GSXR 750w
                        The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I also recommend getting the holes welded up, unless you know someone who can rejet it for you.
                          Where do you live? Perhaps there is someone nearby that can come over and install the new mains and tune your carbs.
                          Best of luck.

Comment

You cannot drill the exhaust for tone- you drill the core for that and stock cams won't work. My exhaust are drilled( the round fake holes) they are drilled -6mm and 5 in each pipe. I use 135 mains and stock air box. You allow the bike to breath by doing this and increase power and MPG. Add ACCEL coils- the 135's allow the engine to run cooler with the added lean condition by drilling the pipes. I see almost 50MPG and I am 260LBS.
                            Do not drill the cores for tone- as was mentioned use aftermarket exhaust for that.
                            They call them sleepers for a reason, quiet and fast!
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X