98 gs500e idling issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

98 gs500e idling issue

My bike has recently gotten new jets floats and spark plugs but I cannot get it to hold an idle the carbs have been synced but due a problem with the gas tank it has sat about a month or two and now it won't hold and idle I have tried adjusting the idle and using the choke but it still is having an issue it turns over and stays on about 30 seconds but flutters and dies when I hit the throttle it revs up a few times but then seems get flooded or something and dies as well, any ideas or advice appreciated

Fuel starvation? Check the fuel lines for kinks or loose connections. This often happens after you've had the tank off, especially with an older bike that may have aftermarket fuel lines.

Comment

I am positive not a single on of fuel lines are pinched if that were the issue it probably wouldn't hold an idle for 30 seconds or so would it?

Comment

it could be that your lines are pattrtially clogged and you are running off the little gas in the floats.

have you checked the pilot jets for potential clogging? were the floats adjusted correctly after being installed. some carbs can overflow into the throats if the valve doesn't seat.

also check the condition of your ignition coils and charging system.

Comment

Those gs 500 are known for fuel delivery problems and everything has to be just right. As you know if you do your own work there are 2 fuel petcocks on that bike and it is critical that you run the required 7mm fuel line . We played hell with that same problem on the 500 street fighter we built this past winter and that was the answer.
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
          X