Carb Diaphragms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Diaphragms

Well I am beginning to really start working on my GS now that funds have picked up. I am working on the carburetors right now; compiling a shopping cart on Z1 and boulevardsuzuki.

I am somewhat concerned about these diaphragms.

I cannot detect any holes or tears in the rubber, they just look kinda ugly.

Is there any way to clean the crusty brown stuff off or un-wrinkle them without compromising the rubber?

Should I even be worried about it?

I appreciate your help guys.

~GSJohnny

Spray them lightly with carb cleaner spray, then quickly wipe off the crud.

You sure there are no holes? Hold them up to the light, strech them gently, look for this:

By the way, you will want to spray the slides with some carb cleaner, too. Try to get rid of that staining on the side.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

after I cleaned up mine, I sprayed them with some silicone spray and left them until I put them back together..

Comment

You can get new ones if you need them from

Although they are 100 bucks a pop yikes
        Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2012, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks Steve I will double check them in the morning.

100 dollars a piece!?!

Does anyone have any used diaphragms for an 80 GS1000 they might be willing to part with possibly?

Thanks for your guys' consideration

~GSJohnny

Comment

I'd look for a spare set of carbs on ebay. I picked up two racks of BS32's for my GS for $40. One rack was trashed the other salvageable, the good news was that all 8 of the diaphragms were in beautiful condition. Yours don't look bad at all, just dirty.

Comment

Jbm

Originally posted by GSJohnny View Post
              Thanks Steve I will double check them in the morning.

100 dollars a piece!?!

Does anyone have any used diaphragms for an 80 GS1000 they might be willing to part with possibly?

Thanks for your guys' consideration

~GSJohnny
              Check( jbmindustries.com ) I have never used them but 20 bucks ea. diaphrames. The web site has pictures shows you how to put them on.
              [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
              Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

When I clean a set of carbs for a client I put the diaphragms in my Ultrasonic cleaner with the other internal carb parts. Removes all the crud & they're just like new.

Takes 10 minutes.
                80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by mike10 View Post
                  Check( jbmindustries.com ) I have never used them but 20 bucks ea. diaphrames. The web site has pictures shows you how to put them on.
                  Kent, OH! Nice, that's where I grew up!

Comment

what you might be looking for

Hey Johnny,I agree with Stevetake a magnifier and check ALL around the top edges on both sides,if you find anything that looks like this:- t

it's time to replace it.I had to buy 2 not that long ago they cost me around $130 for 2,but that was from England(therefore not a lot of use to you-sadly).hope this helps.Johnny

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

Mike10 that website looks to sell high quality items.

I'm looking at this.

I measured my "gasket channel ring" at the top of my BS32 carb and it came out to be right around 70mm.

Is the BS34 diaphragm the same size as the BS32?

Can anyone confirm the measurement?

Thanks again all

~GSJohnny

Comment

I am looking at these as well, just to have them on hand. While the diaphragms in the carbs seem ok now, maybe swapping them out with these replacements would smooth things out even more. Let me know how they work.
                        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Can anyone measure the diameter the outer edge of their BS34 diaphragm groove as well as the "gold" tube outer diameter?

I am trying to compare the size of the BS34 to my BS32 carb.

Thanks guys

~GSJohnny

Comment

Hi GSJohnny - Did you get any of the carb diaphragms from JBM Industries? I've been looking into getting some, but I would like to get some advice/feedback from someone that has purchased and fitted some of the JBM diaphragms.
                            I have measured the diaphragm groove O.D. as shown on the JBM Ind. website and I make it 73MM on my carbs. So I assume that my carbs are BS 34CV's. Is that the same specs on your GS 1000G? Oh by the way I too have a 1980 GS 1000G. I find the information on the JBM website a little confusing as my GS 1000G workshop manual lists the GS 1000G carbs as BM34SS, which according to JBM, should have 70MM OD diaphragms. Are there any marking on the Mikuni carbs that will positively identify the carb model?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

make sure when you put them in, you index the little nub with the corresponding notch in the carb body.

you old diaphragms look like the some PO put them in wrong and tightened the lids on. they are toast.

on really really stubborn ones that still look good but are distorted and won't fit into the grooves, I grease the groove first with vasoline , then install the diaphragms. never had any problem resulting.

Comment

Working...
                              X