4 into 1 for 82 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 into 1 for 82 GS1100E

What 4 into 1 systems are available that don't require the center stand to be removed? I was hoping to keep the center stand on the bike.. It makes working on the bike easier.. unless the center stand assembly is heavy and removing it sheds some weight.

Also I've read these GS's don't make as much power with 4into1 than they do with their stock exhaust... How true is this really? If the exhaust is less restrictive it should make more power if jetted correctly.

Has anybody dyno'd their bike before and after a 4 into1 install?

Also which pipe has the raciest sound? The main reason I'm considering this is because of sound and increasing the noise.. It's true about loud exhausts save lives..

The pipe takes off tons of weight compared to what the stock pipes weigh in at. Helps the motor breath easier and does add some power, couldn't tell ya how much. It is getting rid of the unsprung weight where the big advantage is. For the center stands it weighs a few lbs, though I would leave just for the convenience it offers. As far as loud pipes saves lives that is debatable. The AMA did a study on that and it really didn't prove to be that true. Besides overly loud pipes ain't very cool to being with, the reasons are pretty obvious.

And yes I do run a pipe though it is packed with sound deadening material and I have a very throaty sound and not that loud.
    Last edited by mrbill5491; 09-08-2012, 03:40 PM.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Back when these bikes were relatively new, there may have been some 4-1 exhaust systems that allowed you to retain the center stand but I simply don't remember. 30 years later the selection of new exhaust systems is fairly limited as there just isn't enough sales volumne for the manufacturers to justify a lot of different styles and choices.

If you want a 4-1 exhaust to save weight and increase power, the center stand will more than likely have to go. Besides, the left side looks kind of goofy with no exhaust and the curved center stand tab hanging way out.

I agree that the center stand in extremely helpful for routine maintenance - especially drive chain adjustments. So, what do you do? You get a swingarm stand. They're very common now, relatively inexpensive, perform the same function as the center stand and....they help your bike look great by not having that big curved center stand tab hanging out the left side of your bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Homie View Post
        not having that big curved center stand tab hanging out the left side of your bike.
        Often, the center stand is the first thing to hit on these GSes.
        Safer to ride without one.

Eric

Comment

A Marving, a Motad, a Marshall, a Cowley and a Harris all allow you to keep the centre stand. Running with these the only one that needed the main jets tweaking was the Marving 4-1 Race.

The Marving and the Harris add a few ponies. The others don't (or if they do they're not noticeable).
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I have a Vance & Hines on my 80 GS1100E with the center stand. I just had to make a stop so it doesnt hit the pipe when its up

Comment

V&H Pipe

I just put a V&H 4-1 pipe on my 82 1100 EZ.Center stand clears megaphone by a good inch.Stock 4-2-1 weighs in at 36 lbs,V&h is 8 lbs. plus meg an baffle.Maybe 11 lbs. total.About a 25 lb.weight savings,probably the biggest benefit for performance improvment.I doubt if header offers much improvment,I noted up to a 4 inch difference in primary tube length,should be less than 1/2-3/4".Not impressed with VH quality so far

Comment

Working...
              X