No announcement yet.

First time carb teardown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good on you for getting those out.....The sweet taste of Victory,,,,is great...

don't worry about the rubber, if your dipping the carbs all of that should get cleaned out anyways, spray some air in the passage, carb cleaner, etc....to make sure it's all gone...

slow but sure and you will have success....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
      Good on you for getting those out.....The sweet taste of Victory,,,,is great...

don't worry about the rubber, if your dipping the carbs all of that should get cleaned out anyways, spray some air in the passage, carb cleaner, etc....to make sure it's all gone...

slow but sure and you will have success....

Thanks man. Definitely feels good. Now my only concern with the re-slotting strategy on the mixture screws this: won't cutting down into the channel with a dremel mess up the interior threads that the screw goes into? If so, what do you do about that?

Comment

Originally posted by exzachtly1 View Post
        Thanks man. Definitely feels good. Now my only concern with the re-slotting strategy on the mixture screws this: won't cutting down into the channel with a dremel mess up the interior threads that the screw goes into? If so, what do you do about that?
        Can't tell you exactly how many times I have had to do that, but have never had a problem with the threads when I was done.

I use a Dremel with a large cut-off wheel to slot the tower, I think you might have seen the pictures before, I can re-post them if you want.
        Your biggest challenge will be to cut down the center of the tower, so the new slot in the screw will also be in the center.

Or, if you have managed to convince your wife that I'm not some average creep from the internet, I can stop by on Saturday afternoon to give you a hand for a bit on my way home. It is getting close enough that I am trying to nail down my schedule, so this will be your last chance to grab a couple hours of my time.

By the way, I have some mixture screws with me.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Can't tell you exactly how many times I have had to do that, but have never had a problem with the threads when I was done.

I use a Dremel with a large cut-off wheel to slot the tower, I think you might have seen the pictures before, I can re-post them if you want.
          Your biggest challenge will be to cut down the center of the tower, so the new slot in the screw will also be in the center.

Or, if you have managed to convince your wife that I'm not some average creep from the internet, I can stop by on Saturday afternoon to give you a hand for a bit on my way home. It is getting close enough that I am trying to nail down my schedule, so this will be your last chance to grab a couple hours of my time.

By the way, I have some mixture screws with me.

Thanks Steve. A buddy and I are going to take a crack at them tonight, and I'll let you know what happens. Hate to have you work the trip into your schedule if we end up taking care of it without issue.

I don't have a dremel, but i have one of these. Hoping it will work with the rounded metal cutting attachment - I used it to slot one of the gang rail screws that was seized and it worked fine for that. Figure i can start the slot with a hack saw (i've done this on one post already, seems pretty centered) and go from there.

If we still can't get them loose I'd be glad to have you stop by. The tentative time would be around 4:00 probably, but I will let you know for sure before the end of the night. I may be interested in those mixture screws! Z1 said the ones I found on their site were not exactly the right size (he said they had a slightly different taper - dont know if that matters?) Seems weird that they sell the 650 screws in a kit but not individually.

Wish me luck

Comment

YESSSS! I got them out, the heat + PB method worked GREAT. A couple of rounds and they backed right out. I wish I had done this in the first place, because now I have a couple of fairly stripped screws. They're not so stripped that I couldn't work with them but I either want to re-slot them or get new ones.

Steve - thank you so, so much for the offer but at this point I am going to be waiting for parts and reassembling things over the weekend, so there's not much reason for you to go out of your way to stop here. However, I may be interested in buying 2 mixture screws off of you; it's not an immediate need but I'd love to replace the stripped ones. Maybe we can work something out? Let me know!!

And finally, thank you guys so much for the support through this. I really appreciate not being judged for the newb mistakes I have been making

Should be uphill from here, the worst is over! First carb body is in the dip right now.

Comment

..., so there's not much reason for you to go out of your way to stop here. However, I may be interested in buying 2 mixture screws off of you; ...
              I just checked the difference in the route. Of course, I don't know where in "Akron" you are, so I just plotted a route through downtown. It adds a whopping 11 miles to the trip.

I could just drop the screws off as I go through, but will probably be there a bit earlier than 4. Send me your address in a PM, and tell me where to leave the screws, I'll drop them off as I go by.

And finally, thank you guys so much for the support through this. I really appreciate not being judged for the newb mistakes I have been making
              Oh, don't worry, you have been judged. We are just too civil and polite to rub your nose in it.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve -
                Sent you a PM. Let me know if you didn't get it, it isn't showing up in my "sent messages" folder for some reason. Weird.

As for being judged... I expected that

I'm a hands-on learner though, and very stubborn. I like to accomplish things like this by doing it myself and learning the hard way if I have to! Now I know some tricks and I won't make the same mistakes in the future. Someday hopefully I can give some advice to someone in my position

I'll revisit this thread if I have any issues with the rebuild. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X