Trying to get gs 450 started after carb cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to get gs 450 started after carb cleaning

So I dipped my carbs and got them re assembled and bike on the bike, fuel is in the tank, hoses are where I think they go but it won't start. I would love some immediate help. Even a phone call would be helpful. Thanks

Put tank on prime and fill the fuel bowls. Apply the choke and crank, see if it starts. If not, you can spray a little carb cleaner into the airbox to get it going.

Comment

Do NOT twist the throttle when trying to start the bike. Have you pulled a drain plug on one of the bowls to ensure that fuel is getting down to and through the carbs?

Comment

Well the carb spray did the trick. It kinda scared me since I had a pipe with no muffler on it when it started. It was pretty loud. Now I just gotta get the muffler on and tweak it a little.

Thanks so much. This is why I joined the forum.

Comment

Good to hear !

Comment

Well it will start up now, but fuel is coming out of the left carb on the airbox side. In the small hole on the right. There's a long flat hole at the top and a bigger hole on the left.

Comment

The float needle is probably not seating. You can try tapping the side of the bowl with a plastic screwdriver handle. If this does not work, remove the bowl and place something underneath to catch the gas. When you lift up the float, gas should pour out. Lower the float and the gas should shut off. Inspect your float needles to be sure the tips are smooth.

Comment

So this means whenever I adjusted the float height it set it too high? It too low?

Comment

So this means whenever I adjusted the float height it set it too high? It too low?
                  If the float is stuck, the needle is damaged or the fuel is not shutting off, an overflow can occur. If there is no damage then overflowing could be caused by float height that is too high. How did you set the float height? Did you eyeball it or actually use a calipers?

Comment

I'll admit I was being cheap and lazy and just eyeballed it. I should have left it where it was before I tore them down since it was running pretty well before that. Hopefully either tonight or tomorrow night I'll get a chance to adjust that.

Comment

Working...
                    X