Getting spark, wont start..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting spark, wont start..

First I'd like to say Hello, this board looks like a great place to find info on my new project.

I just picked up a 1977 GS400, it sat for about the last 10-12, your basic barn bike. We pulled off the carbs and cleaned them all up, lots of gunk. We attached a new gas tank and tried to get her to turn over. We're getting a spark but wont start. We tried pouring a little gas directly into the sparkplug hole to see if we'd get a quick puff out of the exhaust but got nothing.

I'm gonna pick up new sparkplugs tomorrow and try again.

Also I didn't have the key so we went to hotwire by connecting the red and orange wires, is this right..

Any thoughts? Assume I know nothing about bikes, maybe i'm missing something simple?

O and we do have compression..

As youll find by the following peoples responses,if you didnt COMPLETELY tear them down and soak each carb body and all the bits for a FULL 24 HOURS and poke all the holes in the jets out, then you didnt clean the carbs. Take them fully apart, get the new orings from Robertbarr here on the forum, and rebuild them from scratch. Sorry to bust any bubbles, but thats the bottom line I am afraid. When you recieve your MEGA WELCOME, read every bit of info and do the carb rebuild step for step.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck is right

Spark, fuel and air have to be there in the right amount at the right time. A REAL Carb cleaning will rule out many problems. There are how to do it right instructions on the site. Even some guys who will do it right for you at a fair price. I built a 1980 GS1000 that I bought in about 6 boxes. My first try at building anything. Now it SCREAMS down the road THANKS to this site.
      [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
      Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Whats the compression on each cylinder...crank it with the throttle wide open. Best to do it on a warmed up engine but at least youll see if theres at least adequate compression to get her to fire up. Let the cylinders dry out and clean the plugs and use the spray bottle method. Just dumping gas into the cylinder can easily flood them.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yea we pulled the carbs and completely cleaned them.. Soaked in carb cleaner, every port, hole, nook cranny.. then everything was blown out with the air compressor. Each part was scrubbed and cleaned..

I don't mind pulling things apart, it makes you appreciate the vehicle that much more!

I'm going to take the ignition to a locksmith and see if I can get a key made so I'm not hotwiring it and I'm going to pick up new spark plugs and some starting fluid.. Hopefully that'll give me something.

Comment

Look on the4 gas cap or the seat latch and look for a 3 digit number stamped there...thats the key code. Locksmith with that info and model and year of the bike can cut a key. If youve done that much to the crabs I would think that they should be up to snuff...so yes now I am leaning in the electrical direction...if it starts, warm it up well and do a compre4ssion check on each cytlinder.

Comment

Yup the ignition has the little numbers right on it.

We were trying to start it using the same spark plugs that have been sitting in it since it was parked back in 1987, so the first thing we're gonna try is putting in new plugs and a little starting fluid. Is there a specific spark plug everyone uses?

Comment

new plugs and a little starting fluid
                Plugs yes, starting fluid no. You don't need it and it can do damage if over used (blown head gasket or worse). Gas in a squirt bottle is safer.

You may find with freshly rebuilt carbs it takes a bit of cranking to get things to go so I would recommend adding an auto battery to boost the cranking amps. If its still in the car make sure the engine is off or you will harm the bike's electrics. The bike battery may not be strong enough to provide spark and turn the starter for more than a few minutes. They are not designed for a lot of cranking.

In addition, these carbs need a certain amount of air restiction to work so if the airbox is off you can get some restriction by covering the mouths with cling film with a small hole poked in the middle. The bike might start ****ing gas but that will clear once it starts.

It is also important that the valves be properly adjusted as they tighten up over time which makes starting really difficult.

Oh and welcome by the way. Post some pics of your ride when you can.

cheers,
                spyug

Comment

Thank you for the great advise! We were trying to kick start it.. I need to get my hands on a manual.

Comment

Set the petcock on prime as well.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ericp501,

In case you missed it: New Members, CLICK HERE!!

That's the "mega-welcome". It contains a lot of information and links that may help you in your quest to ride. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

WE GOT IT RUNNING!

Got the key made for only $20 by the locksmith.
                        squirted in a small amount of gas, put in new plugs and she kicked right over. Idled pretty good to for a bike that's sat for like 15 years, how bad can it be though with only 23k miles.

Very excited...

Comment

how bad can it be though with only 23k miles
                          Well from a bike with 15k miles:

Age doesn't have a lot to do with it. It depends on how it was looked after.

I'm glad you got it going but you will have issues if you don't attend to cleanup of your carbs and fuel system, so keep that in mind. These bikes can be as reliable as a modern bike (maybe even more so) but they need some attention to get there. In addition to carbs and fuel, you will want to ensure your charging and electrical system are up to the job and for heaven's sake don't ride the bike until you know your brakes are good at the very minimum, flush and change the fluid. It goes without saying that tires too need to be good with tread, no chunks missing or cracked sidewalls.

I know the excitement of getting the bike going is amazing but stop and think before you ride off into the sunset, or even around the block.

Good luck with it and lets see some pics.

Cheers,
                          Spyug

Comment

My dad in the picture.. he used to build bikes when he was younger, this is me trying to get him back into his old hobby. He has been really excited about it. I live about 100 miles away from them so I wont be able to toy with the bike too often, but I'm sure he'll have a blast making it like new.

Don't worry, we are going to replace just about everything and get her all cleaned up before we even get it registered. Prob wont take her out till next spring.

Comment

What you guys think?
                              Shes got a clean title, runs and only cost $200..

Comment

Working...
                              X