GS400L / GS450L 1980 carb parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS400L / GS450L 1980 carb parts

I think many of you are far more familiar with these bikes/carbs than I am. If you have the time I would like to tell you what I have done with them. The bike is in Canada and Suzuki Canada did not bring in the 450 bikes for a few years after they did so in the USA. I am assuming there is little difference from the 400 to the 450.

When I took these GS400 carbs apart the main jet needle was corroded badly and could not be reused. I could not find replacement needles anywhere. I have 4 pairs of Yamaha XS400 carbs and I replaced the needles with the Yamaha needles. However... the Emulsion tubes of the 1981 Suzuki GS400L are much smaller in diameter and would not allow the Yamaha needles to bottom. So I replaced the emulsion tubes with Yamaha so they would fit. I used the same original Suzuki main jet and the same original pilot jets and the same original air metering jets. The bikes does run now, and reasonably well... at least on initial fire up. I will hopefully take it out tomorrow to see if it runs well through all throttle positions. It seems there are no new main jet needles available for this carb. I think the Suzuki idle pilot jets should not have that much effect on the bike...

So I was wondering if this sort of swap in/out of other bikes and other Mikuni carbs is common? and if I actually need or want to get the proper Mikuni Suzuki main jet needles, where are you guys getting them? I kinda think I am ok swapping jets and needles and emulsion tubes as the Yamaha XS400 and the Suzuki GS400 cannot be far apart in the requirements of metering/feeding of gas....

Mike..
    mikestp@yahoo.com
    Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2012, 11:56 PM.

Your needle jets (emulsion tubes) should be stamped with a number, try matching it with a number on here:

Comment

Thats an interesting site.... although they seem not to offer any needles, just what they call a needle jet(which is wrong. It is an emulsion tube. The jet itself screws into the bottom of the emulsion tube. (gawd how I hate how different industries call the same things different and misleading names.) I have yet to find a shop that sells needles with a matching emulsion tube and a matching main jet. I have in fact given up and bought an entire carb pair for 60 bucks so I can use the three parts I need.

How do any of you get by without needles?

Comment

The Emulsion tubes I have are either
        354 P-1 or 414 O-9
        The needles I have are 5D69

I have yet to see a chart where the tube numbers, main jets, and needles are posted to what bike or carb number....

Comment

The service manual for the gs1100e that i just looked at says what the needles, main and needle jet numbers are.

Comment

Its one thing to have the numbers... I have the numbers... But where can I order the exact replacement parts? I have sent three emails off to suppliers... one responded with no idea how to get the parts... The other two simply don't answer.

Comment

Working...
            X