White Stuff (Corrosion) In Float Bowl: Carb Cleaning Considerations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Stuff (Corrosion) In Float Bowl: Carb Cleaning Considerations

So I'm following Flaming Chainsaws' 450 carburetor cleaning guide for my '80 450L. I opened up the right carb's float bowl to find a bunch of white crap in the bottom of it. (Pictured Below)

I'm assuming it's corrosion from the bike sitting for extended periods, and I'm just wondering if there are further things that need to be checked/done in the event of finding such corrosion or if I should just proceed normally with the cleaning and rebuild.

just clean, clean and clean again until you are happy that you cant get them any cleaner. then clean again just for good measures. dont forget all the jets and other components as well.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      just clean, clean and clean again until you are happy that you cant get them any cleaner. then clean again just for good measures. dont forget all the jets and other components as well.

+ 1 on all of that.

You are likely right about the cause, but once that is done with, just clean it up and proceed towards completion....then ride.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

You're looking at what ethanol does by capturing water and it sitting under the gasoline for a while. Fortunately the aluminum is thick enough to prevent it from becoming a hole.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
        X