Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help I'm a fuel injection baby and am lost!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help I'm a fuel injection baby and am lost!

I just bought my first bike, a 78 GS750, which is also my first carb experience. I'm a big gear head but man I am lost when it comes to these things sitting on the intake side of my cylinder head, they don't even have an ipod plug! Anyways I really want to master them but need to start at ground zero. Can anyone recommend a some reading or a place to start?

In the interim, I just pods on the bike and now its running very poorly to say the least. I've done some searching and it sounds like I need to adjust my floats and change out my jets. Anyone have a recommendation on which jet?

Take off the pods and go back to the airbox. Seal it up properly and use a new filter. Start with that.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Put your location in the User Profile.

Add your bike to your sig.

Check out BassCliff's site for a service manual and tons of information.

As for pods, if only there was a recent thread about this . . . .

Comment

Welcome to the site....

some lite reading for you....

Greetings and Salutations,

Every once in a while I will miss a new member or two and they may not receive their "mega-welcome". If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Since half these guys are fooling with you a bit, go to the BassCliff site and look for the VM carb rebuild tutorial. You won't find a better how to anywere

It's pretty easy to clean and re O ring them, just be organized because there's 4 carbs

And, do go back to the air box until you get the carbs dialed in. Then, mess with the pods

And, don't forget all the other Top 10 things. You don't want to be "that" guy
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. stuball,

There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to jetting for modified intake and exhaust. Those who have done it successfully on similar models can share their numbers to get you close, but every bike/pod/exhaust combination is a little different and will require individual tweaking. Use "plug chops" and read the spark plugs to check the air/fuel mix for each carb circuit (throttle opening). As a general rule, go up one or two sizes on the pilot jet and 4 to 6 sizes on the main jet to start. You'll also have to adjust the needle up a notch or two. Then test with plug chops, adjust as necessary, repeat.

It is "best practice" to get it running right in stock configuration so that you'll have a baseline to start with. Then modify from there. You'll find carb tuning tips and links on my little website. Welcome to the forum. New Members, CLICK HERE!!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

After reading a bit I can see I've made a lot of mistakes...

I'm trying to correct my ways, last night I removed the pods and reinstalled the airbox(which was a btch!). I also took the bowls off the bottom of the carbs and replaced the o-rings. With some help from a friend I checked the valve clearance and found everything to be in order.

The bike is running much better now, but it still won't restart after it is turned off hot. I'm going to try and figure that one out tonight. My suspicion is that my airbox is not completely sealed.

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by stuball View Post
                After reading a bit I can see I've made a lot of mistakes...

I'm trying to correct my ways, last night I removed the pods and reinstalled the airbox(which was a btch!). I also took the bowls off the bottom of the carbs and replaced the o-rings. With some help from a friend I checked the valve clearance and found everything to be in order.

The bike is running much better now, but it still won't restart after it is turned off hot. I'm going to try and figure that one out tonight. My suspicion is that my airbox is not completely sealed.

Cheers,
                Best go back and read the carb tutorial and strip and dip them - you probably lack fuel flow thru the idle passages controlled by the 2 needles

Most air leaks are caused at the carb boot/head junction - there's an O ring there also

Best read that Top Ten newbie mistakes thread before you spend all your time redoing things
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hard starting when hot is usually a lean condition, it's also possible you have the floats set wrong. It's harder to check with the carbs on the bike so I think you need to pull them, clear the passages, and carefully set the floats.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

thanks for the help guys. I think I'm on the right track now. I've eliminated all of the air leaks and now have a good running bike. It still won't start with the electric starter when its hot but starts right up when I kick start it. I'm going to put a volt meter on it this weekend and see if the voltage to the coils is dropping to low with the starter on.

Eventually I still want to go down the pods and 4into1 exhaust setup, I'll let the haters hate but I really like the look and I'm sure the sound isn't bad ether. In the mean time I'm going to start repainting it and getting it back to the stock look.

Cheers,

Comment

Have a look for the coil relay mod on Basscliff's site, it will ensure a healthy 12V to the coils.

Comment

Working...
                      X