No announcement yet.

Getting a stripped airboot screw out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have a dremel that cang fit in the space?

If you can cut the screw head in half with a wheel it should release presure.

Alos can you wiggle the boot back and forth whilst pulling it outwards fram the head? This might help free the screw.

Comment

well, i broke my cutoff disc, but yes it should fit. If i try and gut it straight across it rubs agains the boot, but i can get it at a steep angle. Ive been afraid to cut it in half, in fear of it getting stuck in the block.

Comment

On my '90 GSX1100F, I just drilled the heads off - they are very soft. Then pulled the boot. I had been applying PB Blaster for days. After the boot came off the headless screw could practically be turned out by hand.

Stuff a rag or paper towel in the intake so nothing nasty get in the engine.

Comment

This might help. My son and I were taking off the boots on the engine side. They weren't cooperating. After we were able to get one bolt loose, my son would turn the second bolt with a phillips head screw driver at the same time I was turning the whole boot to the left. Surprise!..the second bolt would turn loose. Of course, that's provided that you can get one bolt loose to begin with. Good luck.
          sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
          1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
          1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
          1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
          1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
          1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
          1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
          1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

As Ed said, a glancing blow with a chisel, I use a wood chisel (but not too hard, just enough to get a bite) then tap it around, always worked for me with those screws, also have you tried needle nosed vice grips?
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Well, we got the chisel and it worked great! Got em all out now. But then i went to take the front sprocket cover off to get at my clutch cable and guess what. yup the PO was nice enough to leave me more stripped hardware. Great!

Comment

Working...
              X