Stripped exhaust header screw hole.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped exhaust header screw hole.

I just bought an '82 GS1100L with an aftermarket Mac 4-into-1 exhaust. Yesterday I noticed that where the header bolts up to the head, that one bolt was missing. The hole that is missing the bolt is stripped.

Which is the better option? Tapping the hole for a larger diameter bolt, or using a Heli Coil with the same size bolt (if available)?

Or if a Heli Coil isn't available in that size, maybe a close-sized non-metric that I can get a Heli Coil for?

What do you guys think?

Try the Heli-coil first. It is an excellent repair although a little expensive to purchase the tool set( drill bit, tap, coil driver and coils). I wouldn't hesitate to use a Heli-coil.

Comment

That's what I was thinking. ANd it would save the hole from stripping again. The question is, is there a Heli Coil made in the same size and thread pitch as the factory bolt?

Comment

Originally posted by whalford1 View Post
        That's what I was thinking. ANd it would save the hole from stripping again. The question is, is there a Heli Coil made in the same size and thread pitch as the factory bolt?
        yes, M8 x 1.25 thread. widely available from tool stores or ebay
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by whalford1 View Post
          yep, I just got the kit at advanced auto parts. its an m8 1.25 repair kit.
          regardless, take one of your other bolts for them to measure and check thread pitch.
          Some guys lose the bolts and change to studs. do a search on the forum for header studs or exhaust studs.

Comment

Studs, all the way.
            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
              Studs, all the way.
              Why Thank You, yes I am.....

LOL

sorry couldn't resist....

Comment

So there you have a consensus. Heli-coil it and put in a set of studs.

Comment

Working...
                X