Jet in kit dont look like whats in VM carb guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jet in kit dont look like whats in VM carb guide

I started to rebuild the carbs in a 79 GS550L for a friend and I have completely disassembled them now am ready to start putting them back together. My problem is that what came out of the carbs look like what I got in the kit but I read over the VM22 carb rebuild guide and the bleeder (pilot jet) is not what I have in my kit. It seems that what came out of the carbs and what I have in my kit has 2 jets. One smaller jet that looks like one for a CV carb and there is another jet that seems to screw in the same hole but farther out towards the end.

These are the jets that came out of the carbs. the longer one was deeper in the hole and the shorter one was flush with the end of the hole.

Both of these jets came from the hole on the right.

This is what the VM rebuild guide shows as the correct jet to go in the right hole.
    So my question is are these jets correct or did I get the wrong ones? Did the person who worked on these carbs before me do the same thing?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-12-2012, 01:19 AM.

Why did you buy new jets? Is there something wrong with the old ones that a good soak in carb cleaner wouldnt fix??

Comment

Thinking this is the reason there's a blanket recommendation to not buy carb kits.Jet's hardly ever wear out.

Comment

The jets came in the kits I purchased. Before I started on the bike I made sure I had all the parts I would need to get the bike back on the road after it had been sitting for the last 18 years. New tires, bearings, carb kits, Etc. Everything I thought might have worn since the bike has 24000 miles on it and she plans on keeping it.

Comment

At 24,000 miles the jets would not wear out,maybe at 200,000 I might start worrying about them.By then you will probably have a pretty trashed engine anyway.

Comment

That larger jet looks like an air jet.

You might want to check the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature. Even if you aren't a newbie, there might be something inside (such as don't buy carb kits) you find helpful.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I believe you bought the wrong kit - that looks like BS series parts
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It's not the miles that made me buy the carb kits, and I realize jets don't wear out but they do get varnished up and refuse to come out sometimes. It was the sitting around for many many years, and me not knowing if the old gas evaporated or varnished. They were not as bad as I thought but bad enough to need a 2 day soak to get the floats to move and the pins to release so I could pull them. I did not have the bike before I purchased the tires and other stuff so I did the best I could with the information I had at the time. I agree that it looks like the jets don't look right but they are exactly the same as the ones that came out of the carbs.
                Last edited by Guest; 09-12-2012, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I agree that these look like they are jets for a CV carb and the kit did come with a blocker but I find it curious that there are 2 places that have threads enabling me to use both of these jets in the same tube. Any one have ant thoughts as to why?

Comment

I just looked at the fiche on Boulevard Suzuki and Parts Pit Stop and they both list the two jets I am wondering about as pilot jet #1 and pilot jet #2. So I guess they both go in the carbs as they were when I took it apart. Seems kinda weird they would do that but it must be right.

Comment

Working...
                    X