Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A series of unfortunate events.

Well, The title says it all.
    The good news is that I got the orings from cycleorings.com great 2 days after I ordered them. The bad news is that during last weekend I left the carburetors soaking in carb dip on sunday. My 10 month old baby got really sick and we took him to the E.R. They found Viral Pneumonia and liquid in his lungs, he was not reatining oxygen for a day so they hooked him up to oxygen. It was the hardest sh*t to see my little baby in such state. We were in the hosptial for 3 days and totally forgot aobut the carbs being inside the bucket full of carb dip. We came back after a long stay on wednesday late night then realized on thursday when I went back to work on the motorcycle that my carbs have been dipped in that crap for half a week!. I took them out of the dip and all the paint came out of the slides, and needles. Whatever plating there was on those carbs, they were long gone. So here I am. ****ed off at my self for not remembering. Then to top it off with a cherry. My car's alternator gives out. 100 more dollars down the yellow brick road. So my question is now that the plating is off what can I do to reapint them? or do I need a whole new set of carbs.

Sorry to hear of your son. I hope the medicos have him in recovery. Screw the carbs for now.

To make you feel a wee bit better, the carbs will be fine.

Let us know that the little lad is coming along.

Spyug

Comment

Well good news, My baby is very well, thank for your comment and concern. He has been on his way to recovery for the past week or so. So far there is nothing to be worried about, but the doctor did mention that unfortunately he probably will be having asthma for a while. Since the infection trigerred bronchitis while in the hospital. They were able to take care of it with albutherol and steroid treatment and antibiotics, and gave us some to take home. He is been doing great for the past 3 days. He is a stud . On the other hand I have a set of carbs that I need to deal with, with not a lot of time. My family is going to be coming here in october for his 1st birthday and I am going to need (Shadow) the bike running by then so they could have a car while I am at work and school. So what can I do about the carbs in this state? spyug mentioned that they are fine, do I need to replace the plating?

Comment

The worst thing that may happen will be a greyish coating from the aluminum that needs to be cleaned off. I rebuilt a set that a friend had left soaking for several weeks before he remembered them and they were fine. The coating would pill up and stick the slides. Hot water and a good mixture of laundry detergent to scrub the stuff off, plenty of WD-40 to displace the water and finish the cleanup, blow out all the passages with compressed air, then clean again with spray carb cleaner. Replacing the finish, whatever that may be, is not necessary. Some people have used VHT caliper paint on the carb bodies, but that would be a time consuming job if time is an issue. Glad to hear the baby is doing well.
        Last edited by OldVet66; 09-13-2012, 10:09 AM.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Ditto OldVets' comments.
          The solution we used in the ultrasonic cleaner worked fine on the Amal carbs from the Norton. The Mikuni carbs from the Honda turned dark and were coated in slime in less than an hour.
          Dish soap, water and a toothbrush took care of the outside and a quick rinse of the inside with carb cleaner and we were back in business.

Doesn't even sound like your tough guy needed a standing 8 count...good news!
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Awesome! thanks guys for all the help and support. Our baby is doing great by the way. Thanks for all your thoughts and council. The bike will be ready to ride again this weekend! (Hopefully)

Thank you all again. Check back and I'll have pics for you of the bike running. (don;t worry I wont be in them)

Comment

Working...
            X