Airbox issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox issues

Ok I have a 1981 GS750L, it was running but would die as soon as it warmed up and started to get hotter. So I removed the airbox to see if that'd help, it did, the bike now stays running but bogs when you give it too much gas or gets to 4000 or 5000 rpms. Now I'm trying to get the airbox back on because I think its bogging due to too much air or turbulent air seeing as the carbs are cv models. However, I can't seem to get the flanges on the airbox to go back onto the carbs, as if they're too small or something. Does anyone know a good way to get them on or a trick that'll make them go back on easily?

Try a heat gun to soften the rubber tubes. And check for a dirty air filter element. If you are going to run without the airbox you will need to rejet. It might be a good idea to check all the jets in the carbs to make sure they are correct. Air as well as fuel jets. Who knows what has been changed over the years by previous owners.

Also check for blocked jets. The fact it runs better with the airbox removed means that is compensating for a problem somewhere else in the carburation system.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2012, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Your flanges are probably on the hard side from being old you can replace them if this is the case. You could put some vaseline inside them and over part of carbs and try using a hairdrier to make them more malleable. (that being said you might accidentally push flanges inside air box to far or melt them or the holes they fit into on air box out of shape so be careful)

When taking carbs on and off i do the airbox first with the two bolts holding airbox to frame off. then i start the two bolts back in but not all the way

The boots to engine intake i mark before i take them off with a paint marker with carb number and a line letting me know what is top center for each boot-carb.

Then i will install the two inside boots first coming in at the widest space between carb and intake with smallest part of boot getting the boot over each end and then twisting so mark is on top. Then same process with outside boots. Then finish tightening two small bolt on airbox to frame.

This is one reason a lot of people go with pods but then you have to re jet.
      hope this helps

Comment

And everything Don said!!!

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
        Try a heat gun to soften the rubber tubes. And check for a dirty air filter element. If you are going to run without the airbox you will need to rejet. It might be a good idea to check all the jets in the carbs to make sure they are correct. Air as well as fuel jets. Who knows what has been changed over the years by previous owners.

Also check for blocked jets. The fact it runs better with the airbox removed means that is compensating for a problem somewhere else in the carburation system.
        And everything Don said!!!

Comment

Thank you guys for the input, I will try again with the hair dryer or heat gun and see if that helps get them back on, but the flanges keep pushing into the airbox so both the box and flanges might need replacing especially since the flanges sit loosely in the box even when they're in the right position and all.

Comment

Working...
          X