SS socket bolts for carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS socket bolts for carbs?

So I am rebuilding my carbs, and I had seen a suggestion of replacing the screws with SS socket type screws (hex). I decided to go for this and ordered the screws from mcmaster-carr; got them for the the float bowls, caps, top rail, and bottom rail....

Being a novice mechanic I decided to read about the use of SS screws in aluminum parts and there seem to be varying opinions; some say that they are better because they're easier to get off, don't rust, look better, etc. while others say that they are prone to getting stuck because of the differences in the metals. I plan to use anti-seize to combat this.

Please someone educate me on this; hoping I didn't make the wrong choice in spending 35 bucks on SS fasteners (they were only available on mcmaster-carr in packs of 25; I needed 4 different sizes). I just don't want to introduce any NEW problems down the line. Hoping I didn't waste my money

Edit: obviously meant "screws" in the thread title but it won't let me change it.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2012, 04:18 PM.

There is no practical reason not to use the SS screws in aluminum, or as in the case of carbs, pot metal. The difference is not so great as to cause any real world dielectric problems. If you have ever tried using a stainless bolt in a stainless thread of the same hardness, then you know of a real problem, the threads can easily gall.
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

a dab of anti seize on each bolt/screw and you will have no problems.you could have got them much cheaper than that by the way. Z1 or cycleorings ( i think) do specific kits with just the right amount for a set of carbs.
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

some guys on here have said they didnt even use anti seize and never had a problem, others have said even with anti seize, it became a disaster with stuck fasteners. The majority will just say use the never seize and it will be fine. the chemical reaction between the differing metals causes "cold welding" 'I think they call it. fused/seriuosly stuck. lol
        I did the whole engine in ss fasteners and used the anti seize. I am not gonna worry about it. It supposedly just gives a barrier between the two metals from touching/fusing.
        on the other note, ss fasteners by the peice are very expensive if bought at the wrong place.
        I have always wanted to try a few bags of these

they have a variety of these bags for cheap. all could be easily polished for a nice shine. not sure of quality.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2012, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I changed almost each and every bolt with a SS Steel Allen head bolt, you can see here

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2012, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by exzachtly1 View Post
            So I am rebuilding my carbs, and I had seen a suggestion of replacing the screws with SS socket type screws (hex). I decided to go for this and ordered the screws from mcmaster-carr; got them for the the float bowls, caps, top rail, and bottom rail....

Being a novice mechanic I decided to read about the use of SS screws in aluminum parts and there seem to be varying opinions; some say that they are better because they're easier to get off, don't rust, look better, etc. while others say that they are prone to getting stuck because of the differences in the metals. I plan to use anti-seize to combat this.

Please someone educate me on this; hoping I didn't make the wrong choice in spending 35 bucks on SS fasteners (they were only available on mcmaster-carr in packs of 25; I needed 4 different sizes). I just don't want to introduce any NEW problems down the line. Hoping I didn't waste my money

Edit: obviously meant "screws" in the thread title but it won't let me change it.
            That is what I'm doing with my carbs, though I got mine from my local Fastenal store. Got them individually cost was around $15 for everything.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

FWIW, the alloy that GS carburetors are made from is mostly zinc.

I've never had a problem with using SS socket head cap screws in carbs. Just don't over-torque them and you'll be fine without anti-sieze. (And guess what most anti-sieze is made from...?)
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Cool I'll just do it then. Thanks for the info. Gatekeeper, that looks really nice, excited to see mine come together.

I was going to do individual screws from fastenal, but then realized that mcmaster has a place right in Cleveland. I wanted them this weekend so I pulled the trigger. Can't hurt to have some extras right?

Next time I will look for better prices, I just want to get these carbs DONE!

Comment

Thanks....

Have a look here

I changed the carb caps to polished aluminum ones with the SS bolts, looks even better now....

Comment

I like the springs over the hoses. Where did you find those GK? Those didn't come stock right?
                    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Well I don't know if they are stock, but I do think so....They have been on the bike ever since I have had it, the best part is it does not allow the hose to kink, so it will not cut off air or fuel....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
                        Well I don't know if they are stock, but I do think so....They have been on the bike ever since I have had it, the best part is it does not allow the hose to kink, so it will not cut off air or fuel....
                        My bike has those too.

Comment

Working...
                        X