No announcement yet.

Carbs cleaned, how to start up again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, after charging overnight the bike fired right up this morning. I'm wondering now if the battery is in poor condition; maybe it was discharged after a week of sitting to the point where it could not deliver enough juice to fire up the engine? Definitely something I will keep an eye on, unless anyone has another theory.

However, even with the choke off the bike was immediately idling up to 4k, 5k RPM. It seemed to maybe be climbing higher too. I shut it off before that happened (also didn't want to wake the neighbors at 7AM ).

So were do I start? Turn the mixture screws in a half turn and then turn the idle adjustment screw out if it still idles high?

Comment

Don't go playing with your mixture screws until you get a decen idle at about 1100. Turn the idle SPEED knob about half a turn counter-clockwise to bring the speed down, try again.

You don't play with the mixture screws until the bike is warmed up and off of "choke".

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Don't go playing with your mixture screws until you get a decen idle at about 1100. Turn the idle SPEED knob about half a turn counter-clockwise to bring the speed down, try again.

You don't play with the mixture screws until the bike is warmed up and off of "choke".

Ah, OK thanks Steve. I'll fiddle with it tonight, stuck at work now

Will report back when I get a chance to mess around. I did leave the valves slightly open after doing the bench sync, and I remember when I started they were pretty much completely closed (the PO had them that way). So maybe that's all it is.

Comment

Wow, wow, WOW this thing is running so much better now

Not only is it starting up just fine but after adjusting the idle speed, a lot of the symptoms from before have disappeared! Seemed to be a pretty consistent idle after riding around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes. It didn't dip or try to stall on me once.

Once hot it was idling around 1600 rpm. I know you're supposed to adjust it when it's hot... so I'll have to do that but I didn't have anything to reach in there and turn it. And I didn't want to burn my hand trying to reach in there

Holy cow am I happy though, it runs pretty smooth, can't wait to get the fine tuning down.

The only remaining symptom is still a noticeable gasoline smell from the exhaust. It doesn't seem as bad as before though, maybe I'm just paranoid. One... step... at... a... time.

Thanks all for the help and recommendations. You all rock.
          Here's a video of it running after first starting it and getting the idle speed set
          Here's a video of it running after hot
          Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2012, 09:14 PM.

Comment

first turn the idle down to 1200 and let it warm up and adjust it when warm to 1000rpms then go on and follow (koolaid-kids) wright up on setting the a/f screws. i would start them at 2 turns out to start off then follow his write up enjoy

Comment

Working...
            X